New Grocery Store Chain Lets You Buy Health Food For The Price Of Fast-Food

Posted by on January 24, 2017 in Health with 58 Comments

6_buy-health-food-for-the-price-of-fast-food-compressed

By Rob Hoffman | The Plaid Zebra

Imagine Whole Foods at dollar-store prices—a new company called Daily Table is shifting the power back to people of lower income, so they too have the option of eating right.

This has long been the frustration of healthy food – that for some reason eating properly is saved for a wealthier segment of society. This isn’t the way it needs to be. With over 30 per cent of the national food supply wasted in the U.S., there is plenty to go around at affordable prices. This was the realization of Doug Rauch, former president of Trader Joe’s, when he founded Daily Table. The first store opened in Dorchester, Boston on June 4, 2015 and as the very first line of Time’s article reads in large bold text, “Tons of items are under $1.”

Doug Rauch, former president of Trader Joe’s has founded a new low-cost health food store called Daily Table. The first store opened in Boston on June 4, 2015.

“The answer here isn’t a full stomach, the answer has to be a healthy meal,” Rauch tells Fast Coexist. “When 49 million Americans aren’t able to eat properly, and because of it their health suffers—and they get obesity, heart disease, diabetes, in their teenage and young adult years—this is going to be a health care cost tsunami that hits all of us.”

READ THE REST OF THIS ARTICLE…

1. 10207962321991890@facebook.com' Martha Kakonikos says:

Bring it! Folks need to start taking back their health and this is an excellent start!

2. 924067890976500@facebook.com' Cecilia Rodriguez says:

And what exactly is “health food”?..

3. 10153976907859319@facebook.com' Katja De la Meuze says:
  4. 10154574382384418@facebook.com' Kelly Collins says:

Reshma Patel ?

5. 959463014101934@facebook.com' Michelle Señerpida Fajardo says:

ORGANIC FOODS ARE HEALTH FOODS! PLANT YOUR OWN FOOD TO MAKE SURE IT IS HEALTHY!

6. 1019670314744032@facebook.com' Teresa Dio says:

Where ?when?

7. 618817561603815@facebook.com' Alexander Reese Terrel says:

Click bait. Could give us a summary and the store name, but nah. More visits=more money

8. 1171396596250661@facebook.com' Maria Garcia-Siñeriz says:

Yes I would like to travel.

9. 177341152636025@facebook.com' Deborah Goggins says:

Will these stores be in neighborhoods where low income families can get to them?

• 10154025575054274@facebook.com' Melissa Sage says:

Excellent question! I sure hope so, urban areas have far higher obesity rates than areas where more nutritious foods are more readily available.

• 177341152636025@facebook.com' Deborah Goggins says:

There needs to be education and accessibility. Grocery stores usually close down in these neighborhoods.

• 10208089626067043@facebook.com' Penny Jensen says:

Grocery stores are part of the problem that feeds into the education IS necessary and Melissa Sage go spent some time in rural towns, the issue is lifestyle . . .

• 10154025575054274@facebook.com' Melissa Sage says:

Penny Jensen I’ve lived in towns with less than 2000 people. Rural enough? Don’t preach to me, thanks.

• 10154025575054274@facebook.com' Melissa Sage says:

Studies show that urban areas that have fewer fresh food options and more fast food options have higher rates of obesity. Education is important, but lack of access to healthy options negates any education or knowledge a person may have. Affordable, healthy, wholesome foods need to be available or nothing will change.

• 10208089626067043@facebook.com' Penny Jensen says:

I believe you misunderstood me Melissa Sage . . . I understand the “quoting” of “statistics” . . . I should have been clearer in my comment . . . Obesity issues are just as high in rural areas, unfortunately, and came as a surprise to me some 10 years ago when I became aware that this is a western world “modern society” major problem not just urban . . . People today use and abuse what once were considered “luxury” items, like cars and air conditioning to their own detriment . . . Lifestyle choices . . . As for the availability of affordable wholesome healthy food, when grocery / supermarkets stop selling unhealthy staples cheaper than the healthy eg: white bread vs wholemeal or wholegrain then that will be a start in the right direction in this modern dilemma regarding obesity . . .

10. 10207512536281083@facebook.com' Irene Tait says:

Brilliant idea. Perhaps we can have the same in the UK.

11. 1106412016077523@facebook.com' Julie Tobin says:

Needs to be everywhere

12. 10153476412463613@facebook.com' Tara Guidinger says:

It’s called Aldi.

13. 835103133278634@facebook.com' Cheryl Lynn Johnstone says:

I love this!!

14. 796394153839709@facebook.com' Ghazal Noor says:

wOW man

15. 884497638305678@facebook.com' Leonie Montgomery says:

Sarah Willetts

16. 959463014101934@facebook.com' Michelle Señerpida Fajardo says:

Thanks to all of you! We love to stay young and healthy Forever! Amen! God said that I have only until 70years old! from the Book : A Purpose Driven Life, one of my favorite is ” The Prayer of Jabeez” ! Good Morning to All of YOU, MABUHAY! 🙂

17. 1667214156872548@facebook.com' Linda Hand says:

Way. To. Go

18. 959463014101934@facebook.com' Michelle Señerpida Fajardo says:

I just want to share the prayer, My Late Father Manuel Lucero Fajardo, gave me when I was in High School, ” I AM THE FORCE WITHIN, WHAT I AM IS IMMORTAL, UNIVERSAL, AND INFINITE! WHAT I AM HAS BEAUTY AND STRENGTH! THIS DAY IS MY DAY, AND ALL THAT I FALL/FULL TO ME IS FOR MY HIGHEST EVOLUTION AND GROWTH! I AM WHAT, I AM! Bring out the POWER OF YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS MIND! and EUREKA!

19. 449786288549808@facebook.com' Marie D'angelo says:

I love the idea….let’s get them going in New Jersey.

20. 1657011317891390@facebook.com' Mona Kandeler says:

Fantastic!

21. 686279081514189@facebook.com' Daisy Alvarez says:

Kool!

22. 10208794459722254@facebook.com' Nancy West says:

we need a better definition of organic, for instance just learned that dog and cat feces are allowed in mulch piles. While I’m comfortable with well rotted manure from horses, cows and sheep, I’m not in favor of using meat eating animals manure into the mix, but I know people who put scraps of all leftovers bones and all into the mix and that’s where I begin to worry. Making my own fertilizer and mulch at home is good, but won’t help with any ‘organic’ food I buy.

23. 10156520371455298@facebook.com' Jeanne Mulligan says:

Definition of “health food” is food that does not come from a bag and is not full of chemical preservatives.
    Thank you for making this possible!

24. Anonymous says:

Hopefully this is true

25. 10153867876697698@facebook.com' Grace Randall says:

My mom and I go here all the time 🙂

26. 10208465123895885@facebook.com' Sherri Grato says:

This place is awesome. We go once a month

27. 10153659499136789@facebook.com' Alexandra Johnson says:

Troy VanGundy

28. 10203579329643906@facebook.com' Vincent Tan says:

Holy Option… Holy Choice…

29. 10203801877606670@facebook.com' Seija Norris says:

Please someone start this in every corner of the world! You’d have loads of customers and therefore make a huge happy profit! To

30. 10153913438073627@facebook.com' Bliss Nikki Green says:

Undoubtedly not in the land of genuinely hyper inflated food prices (Canada). 🙁

31. 974909479231876@facebook.com' Jean Meetze says:

Fantastic!!

32. 528495160655556@facebook.com' Cheryl Jasso says:

When and where?

33. 1677244492563840@facebook.com' Annie Rivera says:

This is great needs to be world wide hope it’s grown in good soil.

34. 1738667399701252@facebook.com' Matt Morrison says:

Has anyone ever wondered why produce from Trader Joe’s doesn’t last as long as other produce, or why most of their “fresh” products go bad so quickly.
    There’s a reason TJ’s can sell so cheaply.

35. 940921142651153@facebook.com' Carol Haggard says:

And guess who will buy most of the food before low income families can shop there… and then rage online that their tax dollars are being spent to pamper lazy drug addicts? The low income know they will only see the crumbs.

36. 10153465639263541@facebook.com' Stewart Cruttenden says:

They still have to overcome the food industry’s strategy to get them addicted to sugar and starches but this seems a great step in the right direction.

37. 10205335308136669@facebook.com' Vivian Collins says:

This is awesome. I was call into a meeting when they started the use of the EBT card, everything starts with educating, so this store is a way of Edu-Caring to Educate health eating with EBT!

• 10205335308136669@facebook.com' Vivian Collins says:

PLEASE Come to Fayetteville N C to Low-Social Economically deprived communities and let’s get healthy, because our health is our wealth!

38. 10206795709385920@facebook.com' Lisa Del Mar says:

AS LONG AS IT IS NOT GMO FOOD !!

39. 10153879940037095@facebook.com' Carmen Drizzle says:

I love this!

40. 1146999518652889@facebook.com' Cindy Davis says:

I love this idea, eating healthy is very expensive

41. 1079478415437115@facebook.com' Lucia Lopez says:

Meaghan Paige Morton

42. 1734155240148866@facebook.com' Mitsy Fec says:

Yep we are not all rich

43. 186490565044189@facebook.com' Spirituality and Psychology says:

woo hoo!! ❤️❤️✌️

44. 1118581848151950@facebook.com' Angie Davitt says:

Now the younger generation need to know how to cook all this fresh food.

45. leopardgirl2wild@yahoo.com' petie says:

when and where, please hurry,,,