Video Source: Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson shares his 5 of his favorite Big Ideas from “Sitting Kills, Moving Heals: How Everyday Movement Will Prevent Pain, Illness, and Early Death” by Joan Vernikos.
Here they are:
1. Gravity 101 – We eliminate gravity from our lives by sitting all day long. We need to engage in gravity consistently by getting out of our chairs. It’s not enough to exercise. We need to engage in small little micro movements throughout the day.
2. N.E.A.T.! (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) – Energy is burned throughout the day by making small movements throughout the day. Stand up more often – at least 32 times per day (every 15 minutes or so). Change your posture often.
3. G-Habits and Opportunities To Move (OTMs) – Stand up, stretch (simple movements), sit tall, stand tall, walk tall, walk faster. Put a book on the top of your head – you can’t slouch then. Lengthen you spine. Find opportunities to move throughout the day.
4. Think Strong – think every movement as exercise (what you think about matters – think strong!)
5. Telomeres – as we age, our telomeres shrink. People who are sedentary are found to have shortened telomeres, but so are people who exercise too much. So, you want to find the right balance.