It has been scientifically proven that regular meditation practice is beneficial to the mind, body, and spirit. Each one of us will have different meditation experiences. There will be days where we will experience profound insights during meditation and there will be days where we feel as if we are unable to quiet the mind. I have noticed there are 5 common mistakes people make in their meditation practice which causes them frustration with their own attempts at meditation. If they were to eliminate these behaviors, they would feel much more confident and be at ease when it comes to their own meditation experiences.
Related Article: “Reclaim Your Energy” Guided Meditation with Dr. Lissa Rankin
5 Common Mistakes
- Meditating On a Full Stomach – A full stomach is not good for meditation because the body feels sluggish, uncomfortable and sometimes may cause you to fall asleep. Falling asleep during meditation is not the worst thing that can happen, however, the goal of meditation is for the mind to be awake and body asleep.
- Compare Your Meditation Experiences To Other People's Experiences – Each one of us receives information differently. By comparing yourself with others you are setting yourself up for failure because each individual's experience is meant to be different.
- Not Unplugging From The Outside World – By not turning off your ringer, television or going into another room for privacy you will most certainly be distracted and not be able to fully enjoy your experience.
- Judge The Length of Your Meditation – Just because you only have 20 minutes to meditate, it does not mean that you are falling short with your meditation practice. Sometimes, 20 minutes is just enough to reset your energy and reconnect with spirit.
- Trying To Control Your Thoughts – Thoughts will come and go sometimes they will be about laundry and sometimes the answers to our dilemmas reveal themselves during meditation. It is best to allow thoughts to come and go without judgment. There is no right or wrong way of clearing the mind, simply allow the flow of ideas and thoughts to move through you. This is a natural process, thoughts come in and then leave us as another stream of consciousness flows in.
By avoiding these 5 common mistakes you should notice a difference in your personal meditation practice. Any time spent with the intention of going within is time well spent.
Related Article: People Who Meditate Are More Aware Of Their Unconscious Brain
Blessings and Light,
Laurie Barraco is a professional intuitive counselor, medium, author, recording artist, teacher and the owner of The Mystical Moon, a healing center in Fort Myers, Florida. Laurie offers readings, courses and healing products through The Mystical Moon Online Store. You can connect with her at The Mystical Moon Facebook Page.