Crest marquees are awesome alternatives to conventional party venues. You can organise weddings, birthday parties, christenings, theme-based parties, corporate events, annual gala dinners, business networking get-togethers and various other professional or recreational events inside a marquee. When done right, marquee events are memorable and fun. However, due care must be taken to install the marquees correctly. The Australian Building Codes Board or ABCB has developed a standard guide for risk assessment of temporary structures in Australia.
“The safe use of temporary structures requires judgement based on experience and careful evaluation of relevant factors, and each case should be evaluated on its individual circumstances. The application of on-site risk management or risk monitoring is a critical consideration in the planning, implementation, and use of temporary structures.”
Marquee Safety – The Need of the Hour
The marquees and tent business has expanded manifold in the last decade, introducing a range of technological and luxury conveniences that make the outdoor event experience more enjoyable. This has highlighted the need for suitable provisions in case of emergencies.
The ABCB has developed Temporary Structures Standard which equip Territorial and State Authorities with a ready-to-reference document for use, construction, and design of events, marquees, and gazebos and this mandates a professional proof of quality to be supplied with every marquee purchase or rental.
But why do you need a security certificate with your marquee?
Same reason you look for a warranty and guarantee when you buy an electrical appliance – safety.
Since gazebos are temporary outdoor event shelter spaces, they are highly susceptible to damage in inclement weather. Cheaply made, low-quality event marquees might feel easy on the pocket, but if you stop for a moment and consider the irreplaceable damage that they can do – thousands of dollars’ worth of stock, food etc. can be spoiled and there is also the small matter of safety of your guests! Do you really want to think twice about investing in a good quality marquee that stands the test of time and weather? I am guessing not.
An Engineer’s Certification gives you the peace of mind that you’re in good hands. Laid down by the apex industry bodies, a Certificate of Compliance confirms that your tent structure adheres to the industry safety standards, in turn confirming the safety of those underneath. Expert certified marquees have a robust and powerful framework that shields against strong wind, heavy rainfall, and fire with a waterproof and UV-resistant roof on top.
This ensures that your marquee will have a long life and you can offer extended warranties for as long as 10 years.
Alternately, as a consumer, you can expect to organise several successful events with your marquee throughout the years by reaping benefits of extended warranty.
How is the certification awarded?
The Standardisation Manual offers several structural and safety provisions which must be followed. Based on stringent post-production quality tests which are done on marquees, a certificate of compliance is awarded.
Testing the suitability of materials used for erecting the tents
The ABCC manual directs that every part of the shelter should be constructed to meet the industry requirements and the evidence that supports these claims should be presented upon request.
These documents include:
- A report from a registered testing agency stating that the manufacturing materials are suitable for use.
- Certificate from a professional engineer showing that the material, design, and form of construction is compliant with manual’s standards such as AS/NZS 1170, AS 1288, AS 2419, etc.
These documents clearly explain the behaviour of the temporary shelter in water, rain, snow, wind, and fire, and to determine which type of marquee is the most suitable for which region.
Among other things, the structural provisions also intend to ensure whether the erected marquee has sufficient strength to withstand the actions to which it will be subjected, the wind forces being the most critical consideration.
The marquee design should transfer the wind forces to the supporting structure with an adequate safety margin that prevents the marquee from being bent or even falling down.
The marquee, therefore, must have:
- An anchorage that connects the roof to the walls or supporting columns;
- A bracing system that prevents collapse; and,
- An interlocking of structural elements to one other
A structural engineer inspects the structural adequacy of the marquee by taking into account the wind actions, the utility of the structure, and its performance in adverse weather.
Marquee Safety Checklist: How to reduce the risk of damage?
Due consideration should be given to implement risk monitoring strategy at the event site. This includes:
- Setting up action plans that assess wind conditions periodically and allow taking preventive measures quickly.
- Informing the site managers about the wind load capacity of the marquee with instructions on evacuation if an emergency arises.
- Monitoring the guy ropes which might loosen and need tightening in strong winds.
- Determining appropriate installation ground for the event based on soil type, moisture content, and inclination and depth of anchor for maintaining the stability and safety of the tent.
- Supplying sufficient tension to the roof panels to avoid water from accumulating.
Buy event marquees from trusted and certified sellers only!
When all is said and done, your best and safest bet to buy the right crest marquees is Extreme Marquees. All crest tents and marquees advertised on our website has been designed by expert in-house team and approved by engineers to meet the outdoor event regulations in Australia.
Take a look yourself:
- The relevant Australian Standards AS1170.0:2002 general principles, AS1170.1:2002 permanent, imposed, and other actions and AS1170.2:2011 wind actions
- The design check is in accordance with AS/NZS 1664.1:1997 aluminium limit state design.
Your event is not just another business opportunity for us. We deeply care about the clients we serve, which is why, your safety is paramount to us. We’re confident of the quality of our pop-up gazebos and crest marquees, which is why, we offer warranties for up to 10 years. If you’d like to know more, call us on 1300 850 832 or browse or collection online!