Thrive II Preview

Tips for Growing Your Own Cannabis

Posted by on May 18, 2019 in Health, Herbs, Seeds & Spices with 8 Comments

If you’re trying to grow your own cannabis at home, you may have realized it isn't as easy as you first thought. Once a few of your precious plants have started to lose their leaves, go brown, or worse, it's time to up your growing game. These are our top tips for anyone getting into growing at home to maximize the plant's potential and get the best harvests from the limited space you have, from grow light info to the types of seed you need.

Choose genetics, so that they are in your favor.

Any plant is limited by its genetics. Just like with any other plant or animal, different types are made for various reasons. You've most likely heard of hemp rope and clothes, which are made out of the same plant as the ones that you harvest the bud from to smoke, but they have been bred for very different conditions. Hemp uses the stem to create fibers that can be woven into different materials, but have very limited amounts of the active ingredients CBD and THC that make you feel good. Even within strains that are grown to be consumed for their effects, different strains have different genetics.

The main two groups are indica strains and sativa strains. Indicas are more calming and can be used for relaxing or as a sleep aid. Sativas are for a more energetic high, and might be better if you're socializing and need something to help you enjoy the company. Finally, certain strains have been bred to flourish in big environments or outside, and others that do better in a smaller, contained environment. If you're growing inside a smaller grow room, then these may be better to make the best use of your space, rather than growing a plant that grows best outside.

Seeds vs. clones

Cloning a plant is when you take a cutting from an already grown plant and replant it in soil. This cutting will then begin to grow roots and turn into a plant of its own. This can be useful if you have a plant that's particularly hardy or had given you a good crop. If you're starting from scratch, though, it's much better to grow from seeds. This is because if you're getting cuttings from someone else, you don't know for sure what the plant is like. It may have issues you're not aware of. In addition, cloning a plant is a delicate process, and by transporting cuttings in any way, you'll be putting them at a disadvantage. The cuttings may be in shock and can be less likely to root properly, meaning you've wasted your time and money.

Use feminized seeds.

To make sure you aren't wasting your time growing a plant that will never produce buds, make sure to select feminized seeds. These have been bred to stop any male seeds producing, and will ensure all your efforts go toward growing female plants that will bud correctly. Also, this will prevent any fertilization issues. Female plants will only produce smokable buds if they aren't pollinated, which could happen before you're aware that there's an issue and ruin your crop.

Tags: , ,

1. 02ptwoodynut@gmail.com' Tom VanFossen says:

Very useful info. Thanks

2. Justinextreme@hotmail.com' Justin. Boudreau says:

Grow 200 planrs monthly out town got full licesen to grow been doing it monly cops cant trace us got device tracker blocks out heat try put us out busniess

3. GHadlock67@gmail.com' George Hadlock says:

Very interested after reading your article I was severely injured in a work-related accident and I am now on disability I cannot afford continue to go to dispensaries in New Jersey for they are so expensive this is all rather new to me but I love both strains indica and sativa for anxiety and pain and relaxation and getting around during the day and I’m not sure if I have a green thumb or not but I am willing to try and out of all the articles I read about growing ears appealed to me the most especially you’ve eliminated all the hard work I would just like to grow Buds and be happy

• kittykat2826@gmail.com' KITTY. DERIAN says:

Hi, ive been a consumer since the 1970s. A grower for the last 16 years. THE BEST FERTILIZER is HGH.. There are 3 that go together: one for young plants one for mineralization one for flowering it only takes a 1/2 tsp of each liquid in a gallon watering can… I do every other day. Get a really good potting soil( not miracle grow.. You want one with worm casings. And as organic as possible. Outside is best. Straight in the ground… The plants will grow as big as the roots allow. In other words. A 5 gallon bucket will only grow 6 ft. Tall plants. ….. If planted in the ground be prepared for 15 to 18 feet tall plants. In Nevada i water every day in the heat.. Good luck..

4. GHadlock67@gmail.com' George Hadlock says:

Hi I’m 52 years old and I was severely injured and work and I’m now on disability after surgeries after surgery having to take pills all day I would just rather not I recently started smoking weed but I have to go to dispensaries in New Jersey and they are very expensive and I cannot afford it and from what I read you taking all the hard work out of it all I simply wanted to grow a good strain with nothing but buds I would learn cultivation as I go along I would love to hear more information on how to get started

5. doylehill72@gmail.com' DoyleWayne says:

I was hurt really bad lately and can’t afford that high dollar stuff but I don’t want to take heavy opioid s, so I got to try and grow.

6. halljtim03@gmail.com' Timothy. Hall says:

Need how to grow plants

7. leewalker17123@yahoo.com' Dmoney says:

I need advice on starting a business growing