Getting Italian Residency: 5 Things to Know for UK Citizens after Brexit

Written by on July 4, 2021 in Stuff with 0 Comments

After the much talked about Brexit, laws for UK citizens who want to move to Italy in 2021 have undergone an overhaul. In this article, we will talk about everything that has to be done differently by UK citizens if they want to reside in the UK.

After the Brexit laws were put in place, one law that has changed and is the most impactful for UK citizens is that they are not allowed to stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days out of the 180 days. This might be an issue for those who own holiday homes in Italy and spend more than half of the year there. Italian residency for UK citizens is now possible only if they apply for a visa like citizens from non-European Union would have to.

In order to stay in Italy for more than 90 days out of 180, you will have to apply for a Long Stay visa along with an Italian residence permit. To do this, you must contact the local police station of the area you want to live in within 8 days of arriving in Italy. If you are a UK citizen who has been living in Italy from before the Brexit came into effect and wish to continue living there, then your rights will be protected by the Withdrawal Agreement.

According to the Withdrawal Agreement, if you wish to continue living in Italy as a UK citizen then you will have to apply for ‘attestazione di regolarita’ di soggiorno’. This sounds very similar to the Italian residency document but it is not the same. But you need to have registered residency before you try to get the  ‘attestazione di regolarita’ di soggiorno’. Italian residency for UK citizens after December 31, 2020 will be possible only if they have these two documents. You can get the ‘attestazione di regolarita’ di soggiorno’ from your local commune if you go there with the following documents:

  1. 2 bolli or tax stamps which cost 16 euros each.
  2. Your proof of identity from UK and your Italian identity card.

You will have to pay 52 cents each day as an admin fee for however long it takes you to get your Italian residency for UK citizens which is also known as ‘attestazione di regolarita’ di soggiorno’. Somehow if you fail to get this, then you can try to get a regular residency permit. This is, though, valid for five years only. If you have difficulties in getting your ‘attestazione di regolarita’ di soggiorno’, then you can cite the circulars of the Italian government which have given the authority to Italian comunes to grant this to citizens of UK living in Italy on a long term basis. These are easily available online. You can also get in touch with the International Organisation for Migration for help with this. The ‘attestazione di regolarita’ di soggiorno’ can grant residency rights for UK citizens throughout Italy but you must be careful to inform your local commune if you do move to a new place within Italy and decide to live there permanently.

To Conclude

With the Brexit, the laws might have changed but an Italian residency for UK citizens is still very easy and quick. You just need an additional document which should be easily available from your local Italian commune. If you are unable to get you ‘attestazione di regolarita’ di soggiorno’, then there are ways for you to seek assistance or you can try other means like the regular residency permit which should give time for five years to get the ‘attestazione di regolarita’ di soggiorno’. Out of the sixty thousands UK citizens in Italy, a huge portion has opted for permanent residency and if you are considering that, then you should go ahead and do it as well. A little paper work and a trip to the local commune is all you will need.



If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Subscribe via RSS Feed Connect on YouTube

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

FAIR USE NOTICE. Many of the articles on this site contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making this material available in an effort to advance the understanding of environmental issues, human rights, economic and political democracy, and issues of social justice. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law which contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. If you wish to use such copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use' must obtain permission from the copyright owner. And, if you are a copyright owner who wishes to have your content removed, let us know via the "Contact Us" link at the top of the site, and we will promptly remove it.

The information on this site is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice of any kind. Conscious Life News assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to these terms.

Paid advertising on Conscious Life News may not represent the views and opinions of this website and its contributors. No endorsement of products and services advertised is either expressed or implied.
Send this to a friend