I used to not be able to do so. I had to stay busy and couldn’t imagine having such a boring life as to do nothing. With maturity comes a new perspective. However, I believe even young people come to the conclusion: doing nothing is absolutely doing something.
What are the benefits of doing nothing?
First of all, if you are a busy person then you need “nothing” time more than ever. Here are seven reminders, why you need alone time!
- It stimulates curiosity. You have to really slow down to see the minūte things. To hear the small noises or smell the subtleties. If you operate with all five senses, celebrate them. Maybe it seems weird to think of, but what if you didn’t have any sense at all? Wouldn’t you want to experience taste, touch, sight, sound and scents?
- It fosters the importance of who you are: an individual, a soul, a risk-taker. Why a risk taker? It takes courage to stop doing and just be with yourself.
- Quiet time gives an opportunity for your breathing and your heartbeat to slow down and be in a steady rhythm.
- Solutions to dilemmas often appear when you are not thinking about them and being still.
- If you can be at ease with yourself, you may be at ease with others and not be judgmental or critical. You may find yourself more compassionate.
- *Attract things you would like to come into your life. Quiet time is a must for this endeavor.
- Meditation comes in all forms and is an aspect of doing nothing. Find a way to meditate that works for you and increase the folds in your brain. As you do then you may become smarter, more intuitive and peaceful.
*William James, father of American psychology, said that the greatest discovery of the nineteenth century was not in the realm of physical science. The greatest discovery was the power of the subconscious touched by faith. In every human being is that limitless reservoir of power, which can overcome any problem in the world. True and lasting happiness will come into your life the day you get the clear realization that you can overcome any weakness—the day you realize that your subconscious can solve your problems, heal your body, and prosper you beyond your fondest dream.” – Ailish McGrath MICHP, ADHP www.IChooseToHeal.com
Sit down my active friend and do nothing (of course at the appropriate time, don't neglect your children). Just be in the moment and relax. Your quality of life depends on it. :-), Love Julia
Julia Parsell is a Certified Holistic Health Counselor with an emphasis on the intersection of science and the sacred. She writes from experiences and transformative understandings that have led her to an authentic and peaceful life. She goes by these names: grandmother, mother, sister, aunt, niece, cousin, and friend. As home educator of her three children, she also developed/ran cafes, and maintained various leadership roles within her community. Her greatest desire is to encourage others to live life fully. Her passions are family, art creation, writing, and trail blazing. She lives in Western North Carolina.