How To Apply For An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Written by on June 22, 2018 in News Flash with 0 Comments

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. The document gets linked electronically to the passenger's passport. It's valid for five years or until when the visa will expire. If you get a new passport, you need to apply a new eTA.

If you got a valid Canada eTA, you can travel to Canada more often as you want. You can stay there but not more than six months at a time. But, getting an eTA does not guarantee you to enter Canada.

Who are qualified to Apply for an eTA?

This document affects travelers going to Canada by air. Those arriving by land or by sea don't need an eTA. The electronic travel authorization is valid in more than 50 countries. These countries are Visa-exempt countries. So, citizens from visa-exempt nations are eligible to apply for an eTA.

US Citizens and lasting Residents

U.S citizens don't need an eTA. They can use their U.S passport (valid) to visit Canada. But, permanent U.S residents or Green card holders need an eTA to visit Canada. They must also have the Green Card with them.

Workers and Students

If you get granted a work permit or study permit, and you are from a visa-exempt country, IRCC will allow you an eTA when your license gets accepted. Besides, if you got your permit before 1st Aug 2015 and you from the visa-exempt nations, you may need to apply for an eTA to leave or return to Canada by air.

Dual Citizens

If you hold dual citizenship one which is Canadian, you don't need an eTA. But, you need a valid Canadian passport if you are entering Canada by air.

Canadian Permanent Citizens

Permanent Canadian residents don't need an eTA. All they need is a Permanent Resident Card (PRC). If not a PRC, they need a Permanent Resident Travel Document to travel to Canada.

How to apply for an eTA

Apply for an eTA on the official Canadian website

The application procedure is simple and takes few minutes. In very sporadic cases the application can take days. In case you need to submit additional documents such as ESTA form, do so. Besides, you need to apply before you fly.

An eTA costs AUD 7. The application can be done and paid for one person at a time. Also, you need a valid passport, a credit card or debit card to complete the application.

Type of questions on eTA

  • Your address, employment status, and passport information. Also, you will be asked:
  • If you have to get convicted of a criminal offense.
  • If you have an airborne disease.
  • If you are ailing from a serious health condition.
  • If you get denied entry in any country or Canada.

The Canadian government started to require eTA in 2011.  In summary, you can travel to Canada on short trips without Visa. All you need is an eTA as long as you come from visa exempt country.

Tags: , ,


If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Subscribe via RSS Feed Connect on YouTube

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

FAIR USE NOTICE. Many of the articles on this site contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making this material available in an effort to advance the understanding of environmental issues, human rights, economic and political democracy, and issues of social justice. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in Section 107 of the US Copyright Law which contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. If you wish to use such copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use' must obtain permission from the copyright owner. And, if you are a copyright owner who wishes to have your content removed, let us know via the "Contact Us" link at the top of the site, and we will promptly remove it.

The information on this site is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice of any kind. Conscious Life News assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to these terms.

Paid advertising on Conscious Life News may not represent the views and opinions of this website and its contributors. No endorsement of products and services advertised is either expressed or implied.

Send this to a friend