When Did We Start to Fear Mother Nature’s Medicine?

Written by on December 20, 2016 in Healing & Natural Remedies, Health with 41 Comments
image_pdfimage_print

Barbara Sinclair, When Did We Start to Fear Mother Nature's Medicine?

www.barbarasinclair.com

I don’t ever remember being given herbal remedies when I was growing up. Instead, it was the dreaded pink Pepto Bismol, or aspirin, or the new kid on the block, Tylenol.

I guess my mother didn’t have any role models to teach her natural healing and thus, couldn’t pass it along to me. So, when my own children were young, I followed suit, not knowing any better. I gave them antibiotics when the doctor deemed them necessary. Ditto any other prescription or over-the-counter drug. Oh, how I wish I had had a Dr. Aviva Romm-type around when I was younger.

But there must have been something inside of me that suspected there was a better way (I did make my kids’ baby food from scratch, I'm proud to say). Maybe it was a past life memory. At any rate,  it wasn’t until decades later when I had fibromyalgia that something shifted and I fully began to embrace what I think is the greatest truth that has been with us from the beginning of time –

Food is Medicine

When I think that I had never bought fresh ginger root or healing spices like turmeric, cardamom, fennel, etc. until I was in my 50s, I can hardly believe it. Healing herbal infusions of Nettle, Oatstraw or Comfrey? I’d never heard of such a thing.

But now, it all seems so crystal clear to me. Why wouldn't someone reach for #1 instead of #2 for nausea?

1. Ginger
  2. Pepto Bismol (Each mL contains bismuth subsalicylate 17.6 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: benzoic acid, D&C Red No. 22, D&C Red No. 28, flavour, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, sodium saccharin, salicylic acid, sodium salicylate, sorbic acid, and water)

When I traveled to Michigan over the holidays to visit family, I brought along dried elderberries, cinnamon sticks, cloves and fresh ginger root. I cooked up a batch of elderberry syrup to give to family and friends. It's the height of cold and flu season and elderberries are famous for their high antioxidant level and ability to boost the immune system. Well, you would have thought I was whipping up a witch's brew for all the suspicion it garnered. And so, again I ask

When did we start to fear Mother Nature's Medicine?

I've let go of hoping that my family jumps on the holistic healing bandwagon. We all have our own beliefs and I respect that. And of course,  no matter how much education we have, in the eyes of our family, we're often still in kindergarten.

For years now I have been studying everything from a natural or holistic point of view. Ayurveda became my main focus because it is so rooted in the elements, in living in harmony with Mother Nature. What's so scary about that?

Nowadays, anyone involved in natural healing has to be so careful about what they say and write for fear of FDA involvement. How sad is it that drugs have become the norm, are advertised on TV (we're one of only three countries that allow this), but that you can't make a statement or claim that a herb, food, or plant can possibly cure an illness.

If you don't already, I urge you to look to your own garden, your farmer's market or other sources of healthy whole food to discover the healing properties right in front of you, courtesy of Mother Nature. I think you'll be amazed.

Much love,
Barbara

Barbara Sinclair is a visual artist and holistic health practitioner with a passion for Ayurveda, the ancient mind/body system of healing and longevity. Barbara was able to heal herself from years of fibromyalgia, a chronic pain condition, by adopting an Ayurvedic lifestyle. She is now pain-free and joyfully shares these methods with her readers and clients. Barbara received her Ayurveda training from Wise Earth Ayurveda, the first school of Ayurveda teachings in the US. She is also a certified holistic health counselor (Institute for Integrative Nutrition) and certified energy healer (Deborah King Center).You can contact Barbara HERE for an Ayurvedic consultation or energy healing session. To receive her monthly newsletters as well as weekly practical Ayurvedic tips click HERE.

Barbara’s Website: https://www.barbarasinclair.com
Barbara on  Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BarbaraSinclairHolisticHealth
Barbara on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BSinclairNYC

Barbara posts a new article on CLN every Wednesday.  To view her articles, click HERE.

Tags: , ,

1. 10153713285799560@facebook.com' Dani Singing Grass says:

That looks like my kitchen… :3 🙂 Love..!! <3

2. 818087441653291@facebook.com' Sarah Mills says:

When we made the fake stuff tastes so much better than the real stuff.

• 474707679357323@facebook.com' Lisa Holcomb says:

I don’t thank the fake stuff ever tasted better. We were just raised eating the fake chemical shit not knowing how good the real food can be or at least for me. Now that I’ve educated myself to the poison that goes into our food I can’t walk into a Wal mart etc. without seeing poison everywhere. I go out of my way to eat real food that taste amazing and the ingredient list well my food doesn’t need one because you know what’s in it vegetables that are grown by me or people I know and same for my meat, eggs, and anything else I can do myself and not rely on big ag for.

3. 1121988041154293@facebook.com' Sarah Haring says:

When big pharma took over and made parents feel irresponsibly for using old remedies! Hate big pharma!!

4. 1194437257252906@facebook.com' Jennifer Batchelor says:

America, or maybe the entire world bought into the idea that’ modern medicine’ was ‘ better.’ if only they/we had known…

5. 865255813582089@facebook.com' Dinah Briggs says:

Brainwashing

6. 10207414630595837@facebook.com' Heather Garrett Gathright says:

When Big Pharma told us to

7. 795530123890557@facebook.com' Iyahnah N Johnson says:

I was always given herbal remedies

8. 474707679357323@facebook.com' Lisa Holcomb says:

When people stopped trusting their gut and allowed themselves to be brainwashed by our government to believe they know what’s best for us!

9. 950100778360533@facebook.com' Ginnette Cooper says:

When we began trusting pharma companies with our health with new remedies…when we put our health interests in their hands and just got lazy and wanted an instant fix. Good nutrition and natural remedies is the fix…not synthetic or man made.

10. 517708635069505@facebook.com' Moon Lilly says:

When we were living the talk and walking the walk and saw the storm come and smash all that was in it’s path including our ideas way of life etc.

11. 517708635069505@facebook.com' Moon Lilly says:

What Sarah Haring said.

12. 516231025205199@facebook.com' Chris Mccrumb says:

Brad Strategy

13. 10208697996834229@facebook.com' Leona Simon says:

When the pharmaceutical companies began bribing the doctors.

14. 1073037132741710@facebook.com' Myra Wijsmuller says:

With the Inquisition – the Roman Catholic church is primarily responsible because if you knew how to use herbs, plants and the uses of them, made poultices etc., and were able to heal people with them, it was considered sorcery and witchcraft.

15. 10205686876834639@facebook.com' Denise Barton Rader says:

I was born in 1956. We hardly ever went to the Dr. My mom would call her Grandmother and she would tell her what to use.

16. 1064689990229838@facebook.com' Amir Alzubi says:

That’s so true, we have been brainwashed by the big pharmaceutical companies. The other day my daughter had an ear infection so I gave her a drop or two of antibiotics. A few hours later she complained again and the pain was getting worser so Then I remembered the instant relief I use to have after my mom gave me her home remedies so I decided to try. On a tablespoon I heated up ( warm like) 100% extra virgin olive oil on the stove top made sure it was warm to the touch got a cotton swab dropped a few drops into her ear and in a couple of minutes voilà the pain was gone. Best home remedy ever

17. 10207993888954686@facebook.com' Carolyn Mullen says:

When big pharma figured out what sheeple we are!

18. 1034544903236498@facebook.com' Saadiqah Cynthia Scherr says:

When they started burning women at the stake or drowning them for knowing which herbs & roots & what not to use.

19. 10208369038048429@facebook.com' Hilary Thompson says:

I remember dock leaves rubbed on nettle stings and cowslip wine for a pick-me-up.

20. 960797077346073@facebook.com' Richard Jensen says:

When it started to cost big pharma, big oil and the timber industries $$$.

21. 887037601349900@facebook.com' Bruce Truelsen says:

Religion and marketing

22. 953222611431483@facebook.com' Yelena Affleck says:

Oh, geesh, people! It’s not all or nothing!! The herbs and the pharmacy meds have a place in treating illnesses!! Herbs cannot cure or treat everything!
    Many people would die without the pharmaceutical drugs!

23. 1636598089926118@facebook.com' Dawn Treader Review says:

30 minute ad-free sample of podcasts on TCM with music and effects: Traditional-chinese-medicine-natural-healing-or-naive-hokum https://dawntreaderreview.com/e/traditional-chinese-medicine-natural-healing-or-naive-hokum/

24. 1106880212679804@facebook.com' Judith Cowley says:

guess I was lucky…though at the time I didn’t think so….milk thistle tea…..cabbage water….etc

25. 10208354507449411@facebook.com' Terina Smith says:

My mum was always a herbal and mineral based health person and so I grew up that way – I was so lucky – and over the years my need for western medicine has been minimal – sadly tho – with a chest infection I have had since Christmas day I, only yesterday gave in and went to the Dr – and am taking the first pharma medicine I have taken in nearly 30 years 🙁 there is a place for both – I just think that western medicine is over used as it tends to fix a symptom rather than a cause – that is my thought

26. 10153698720231208@facebook.com' Cali Fever says:

We didn’t. Many still do it. Just takes a bit of time and wanting the learning process.

27. 10206979227233228@facebook.com' Sherry Hieronymus Raeder says:

Wish we were raised with it. The all mighty dollar raised us.

28. 10204344836494495@facebook.com' Debra Sant says:

I’m doing it, done with pharma

29. 10153980884526019@facebook.com' Aprrajita Sharma says:

when we were made to fear it – simple. medical mafia has earned millions and the food mafia as well, sacrificed many lives for greed..each one of us should go the naturopathy way and that too organic ..