Are Raw Foods Damaging Your Health?

Posted by on August 23, 2015 in Food, Drink & Nutrition, Health with 18 Comments

Danielle Fagan | Collective Evolution

Image from www.collective-evolution.com.

Image from www.collective-evolution.com.

It may go against what we’ve been programmed to think from an early age – the idea that eating salads will aid in weight loss, and “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” – but according to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), a system of medicine that has been around for 2000 to 3000 years, raw foods may actually be hindering, rather than helping, your wellness goals.

In both Aryuvedic medicine and TCM, the temperature of the food you eat plays a very important factor in determining how beneficial it is. Raw foods, eggs, tofu, whole wheat, and green teas have a “cooling” effect on the body regardless of whether the food or beverage is hot or cold when consumed.

Foods like dates, chicken, squash, cinnamon, and ginger have a “warming” effect on the body.

Related Article: Dr Axe’s Top 12 Cancer-Fighting Foods

Imagine a pot of soup on the stove. In this case, your stomach is the pot. In order for the soup to be cooked well, the temperature needs to be high enough. In TCM, it is believed that the spleen is the fire underneath the pot. If you put cold ingredients into the pot, you would need to turn up the fire in order to properly cook the soup. This causes excess heat and “yang” to be depleted from the body.

If you are of a hot constitution, “cooling foods” may be beneficial for you in moderation. Regardless of constitution, a diet that is 100% raw and cooling can be very damaging on the body according to TCM. Consuming too much raw food takes tremendous amount of energy away from the spleen and can eventually lead to something called spleen qi deficiency (lack of vital force energy in spleen) and excess “dampness” (when the heat under the pot is insufficient and the soup in the pot is not fully cooked).

Related Article: Warm Lemon Water: A Natural Diuretic and Toxin Remover

Some symptoms of spleen qi deficiency are:

• Heavy feeling in head
  • Brain Fog
  • Lack of appetite
  • Craving sweet foods
  • Nausea
  • Sweating without exertion
  • Difficulty waking in the morning
  • Diabetes
  • Digestive issues
  • Tiredness or weakness

READ THE REST OF THIS ARTICLE

1. 886825484732899@facebook.com' Tattoos says:

Hi I am Jessica I am 17 years old I live in USA I love making new friends please Follow me I will Follow you Back and inbox You I promise

2. 1608663592732962@facebook.com' Macie Guzman says:

We are the only species on the planet that cooks our food.

3. 1734173683476981@facebook.com' Gail Brudvig says:

Whatever that is in the picture, it sure looks good.. I want the recipe 😀

4. 838986478047@facebook.com' Nora Taylor says:

Carol Taylor

5. 1647849865459811@facebook.com' Katie Corley says:

People lived thousands of years eating raw foods, r u saying that we now have better health because if technology??

6. 855322061189262@facebook.com' Luda Goodrich says:

So true! I’ve tried eating the raw diet several times now and love juicing, but I nerver make it to 3 months before my body goes through all the symptoms mentioned in this article.

• 1608663592732962@facebook.com' Macie Guzman says:

Its your body detoxing

• 855322061189262@facebook.com' Luda Goodrich says:

That’s what I thought at the time too, so I would really try to push through it, but my gut would have none of it…like I was 5 months pregnant with bloating and severe inflammation. I eat only organic, no chems in my house or property, whole house water filtration system as well as highly filtered HVAC…I no longer suffer allergies though. But as soon as I eat raw the symptoms return within days now, so I eat steamed and braised veggies and no grains or sugars and my energy levels return…all good. 😉

7. 1032422110115290@facebook.com' Kassy Jinnah says:

I juiced wheat grass, carrot/green apple combo and ate raw

8. 1734173683476981@facebook.com' Gail Brudvig says:

What is that? It looks good 🙂

9. 10207705980030996@facebook.com' Violeta Jinnah says:

I juiced ate raw and did coffee cleansers for 6 month in 2001; got rid of my health problem, lost weight, skin glowed and was noticeably much more alert

10. 10153421169716084@facebook.com' Anna Charles says:

Adam Stairmand have u heard bout this … Temperature of food theory …

11. 123498961330648@facebook.com' Nonaur Buzinez says:

Ah….@conscious life news, spell “Ayurvedic” correctly.

12. 400338583499076@facebook.com' Rob Tsopelas says:

Spit out the bite of lunch I was chewing on. Serious face. Sipped water. Continuing to read with a serious face. Keep looking back at my lunch with a serious face and than back at the screen. I definitely spit the food out. Serious face.