Thrive II Preview

Leonardo DiCaprio Wants You To See This: How Meat Consumption Is Destroying Our Planet

Posted by on March 24, 2016 in Environment with 23 Comments

meat-factory

By Jessica Beuker | The Plaid Zebra

A couple years ago, if you asked me what my favoruite foods are, I would, without hesitation, rattle off a list that begins with steak, bacon and pepperoni pizza. I was always a big meat eater, which is why it was especially shocking to my friends and family when I decided I wanted to become a vegetarian.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t go full vegetarian from the get-go, and I still don’t consider myself a vegetarian—I occasionally eat chicken. But the more I researched and engaged in discussions with others about our beautiful planet and the ways that she is being completely destroyed, I knew I had to make a personal change. Even if that meant starting really small.

Related Article: Harvard Says Reducing Red Meat Consumption Can Extend Life By 20%

I’m not great at cooking, I’m a picky eater, and I was never a big vegetable lover. So this meant that cutting out meat, which I ate everyday, would be difficult. So I started by just decreasing the amount of meat that I ate; cutting portions in half or vowing to have at least one or two meat-free days a week. Then last year, I decided to cut beef and pork out of my life entirely. That would mean giving up the top three foods on my favoruite foods list. Surprisingly, it was easier than I thought, especially since I still allowed myself to eat chicken. Today, I am very close to becoming vegetarian. I’ve expanded my taste palette to include things like tofu and soy, and have been slowing phasing chicken out of my life over the past few months.

Recently, actor and notable environmental activist Leonardo DiCaprio tweeted a video that was posted by Mercy For Animals last December. The video (above) starts by showcasing some beautiful images of our earth, then illustrates the ways in which it is being taken advantage of by us. We not only have the most to gain from Earth, but we also have the most to lose, should we not learn to take care of it.

Related Article: Ice Shelf Twice the Size of Manhattan Is About to Break Off From Antarctica

As it stands, animal agriculture is the number one cause of environmental destruction. As the video conveys, it is the leading cause of species extinction, consuming one-third of all fresh water, is the leading cause of ocean dead zones (areas in the oceans where excessive pollution has depleted the oxygen needed for marine life to survive), and is responsible for 91 per cent of Amazon destruction.

READ THE REST OF THIS ARTICLE…

1. 10205304258433682@facebook.com' Станиша Крстић says:

saw him in McDonald ….

2. 10153248856826270@facebook.com' Adam Zettler says:

…..he said, from his mansion, eating a 50 dollar steak.

• 996684737056637@facebook.com' Mariana Caffaro Wood says:

Why would he not do what he says?? Envious person! Did you know he gave millions of his money to save animals like sharks? idiot

• 10153248856826270@facebook.com' Adam Zettler says:

Thank you for the compliment. Presumably because he is the same guy that wags his finger at us plebs about anthropormorphic global warming while flying all over the world with his entourage in his private jet, and partying on a yacht powered by two 8,000 horsepower diesel engines. He is your typical limousine liberal “progressive”. Great actor though. Better luck next time.

• 1501903286779589@facebook.com' Stacey Pearson says:

Brilliant ? boom bitch ??

3. 768322666647777@facebook.com' Andrew Wakeman says:

I’ll always eat meat I’ll never stop

4. 10207652740268046@facebook.com' Michelle Touchette says:

calling bullsh*t. (sorry, too good to resist ;-).) the *whole* truth is, it’s big ag farming and ranching practices that are destroying the planet. so if good ol’ leo is gonna blame consumption levels, he’d best target *all* consumers, not just omnivores.

• 10153714175162354@facebook.com' Tankeyutomoniya Khakon Ehtek Cipenuk says:

This is for the whole of the people!

• 10153714175162354@facebook.com' Tankeyutomoniya Khakon Ehtek Cipenuk says:

Not separate,as a whole.

• 10103253499622738@facebook.com' Ben Reynolds says:

Watch Cowspiracy on Netflix. Milk and beef consumption are far-and-away the biggest contributors to ecological damage. It’s devastation rainforests, polluting the soil, killing bees, desertification, runoff creating dead zones in the ocean, suppressed information about the health risks posed to consumers, co2 emissions, just to name a few. The problem is there are Ag Gag laws written into the Patriot Act that prohibit protesting or speaking out against farms (commercial farms) if the farmer (the CEO) can prove that it negatively impacted their profits. That’s why no one talks about it.

If a body if government can instill enough fear into it citizens they’re liable to give up their rights for the promise of safety, and people of immense power will go to great lengths to maintain that power. This is who we’re dealing with.

• 746473748815629@facebook.com' Mallory Knox says:

What are you doing to stop “big ag farming”? Nothing, I am sure. That’s where the majority of people get their meat. From the grocery store , that purchases it from big ag (factory farms) So if you don’t like being blamed, start doing something about it.

5. 787944918017084@facebook.com' Deborah Thornton-Mathis says:

Janism Universal Vesper Tree of Life

6. 1157012157646680@facebook.com' George Blanker says:

No meat for me EVER!!!!

7. 10208198611144358@facebook.com' Latasha Campbell says:

Wouldn’t there be a massive amount of animals if they werent being eaten……. i wonder how the world would be

• 10206078921796662@facebook.com' Victoria Alicia says:

We breed them to overpopulation so meat-eating humans can be fed. Also, we are overpopulated. It’ll just have to sort itself out lol. But by cutting back or stopping, the supply and demand would decrease the amount of the animals that need to be bred because we wouldn’t want them on our shelves. This earth’s all out of balance (for us) in recent ages

8. 10153630581857946@facebook.com' Shaun Watson says:

Says the guy with the massive mansion! Hypocrite

9. 10205279842977090@facebook.com' Tom Gerencir says:

Leonardo can go kiss some ass, Hollywood libral jackass.

10. 1552329581727028@facebook.com' Katrina Phyllis says:

Actually, our song birds are dying off because too much prairie land has been turned into agriculture land for grain production. The birds cannot nest in the crops, but they can nest in the land used for grazing cattle. So grazing cattle is better for the environment than growing grains. So go eat some grassfed beef people!

11. 1631878550403481@facebook.com' Julie Grace says:

Yes of course it is..x why would you ever eat hormone and pus filled milk and meat and not expect to be ill..the truth is like bad medicine people do not like it but the sooner they wake up the better..x

12. 10207762811461604@facebook.com' Kenny Allison says:

somethings were just not meant to ever be Industrialized, Food should be the obvious one…

13. 1286103631404752@facebook.com' Jan Olivier says:

Agreed but what about just simply having less children? Surely that has to be seen as a way to help save the planet??????

14. 244926229188789@facebook.com' Widgette Danielle says: