‘I’m Sorry’ Isn’t Enough: Here Are the 3 Steps to Apologizing Effectively

Posted by on October 12, 2017 in Conscious Living, Relationships & Sex, Thrive with 23 Comments
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

i'm sorry

By Christine Carter | The Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley

People make mistakes all the time. Not just bad people, or weak people. All people. Our mistakes are what make us human. And even when we don’t think that we’ve made a mistake, other people will often find errors in our ways. We human beings are walking offenders.

Here’s the real question: If we’ve done something that offends someone else—whether or not we feel we are to blame—should we apologize?

Related Article: Forgiveness: An Act of Self Love

I believe that it almost always serves our highest good to apologize if we’ve hurt or offended someone else—even if we think the offended person’s anger is unjustified, or if we have a perfectly good excuse for what happened. Or if our intentions were all good.

Often, the impact of our action is not what we intended. But here’s the thing: Impact matters much more than intention. Our happiness is best predicted by the breadth and depth of our social connections—our relationships with friends, family, partners, spouses, neighbors, colleagues—and so broken or fraying connections are usually worth repairing.

We don’t repair a fissure in one of our relationships by ignoring it. (We have a saying in our family: You can sweep sh*t under the rug, but it is still going to smell.) And we don’t repair it by blaming someone else, or defending our actions. We initiate a repair by apologizing.

But all apologies aren’t created equal, of course. (All parents have watched children spit out a forced “SORRY!” and known it was worthless.) A good apology is something of an art.

So what makes a good apology? After studying that question extensively, Aaron Lazare developed perhaps the most robust criteria to date for effective apologies. Drawing on Dr. Lazare’s work, I’ve whittled down his ideas to the following three-step method for making a good apology.

Step 1: Tell them what you feel

Usually, we start by saying “I’m sorry” to express remorse. “I’m sorry” is more effective when we elaborate on our remorseful feelings. For example, “I’m so sorry and sad to hear that my lack of communication has made you so angry and resentful.” Or, “I’m so sorry and embarrassed that my comment caused such an uproar.”

Just share the remorseful feelings, please. It is not constructive is succumb to—and share—feelings of resentment or defensiveness, like, “I’m sorry…you’re being so petty and critical.”

Related Article: 10 Smart Choices to Heal the Pain of Your Past

Step 2: Admit your mistake AND the negative impact it had

This is the hardest part, because it requires admitting responsibility for our actions or behavior. This can feel impossible if we don’t really think we did much wrong, or if our intentions were good.

Ask yourself: How is the other person feeling? What did I do that caused that feeling? Could I have done something differently?

Then acknowledge these things. Empathize with the offended person; the most important thing is that you demonstrate that you are trying to understand how they feel. (Don’t apologize until you actually do understand how they are feeling; if you can’t put yourself in their shoes, your apology will ring false.)

For example: “I can see that my comment hurt your feelings, and that you are feeling misunderstood and uncared for.”

Or to your partner you might say, “I know that it was wrong of me to call you out in front of the whole family, and that you are angry because I’ve hurt your credibility with the kids. I’m sure that was embarrassing, and it was a mistake for me to do that.”

This is where most of us are tempted to offer an explanation for our behavior. When in doubt, leave the explanation out; trying to explain away our actions can seem like we’re being defensive, or making excuses. (Remember, the point is to repair the relationship, not make the other person see that you were right.)

If you need to shed light on why you did what you did, be careful to continue to take responsibility for the negative impact you had. Saying, “I really didn’t know that you would be offended” is an excuse, not a good explanation. Whining that you didn’t intend for the other person to be hurt doesn’t shed light on anything. More effective would be saying, “It is no excuse for standing you up, but I want you to know that my stepfather had just had a stroke, and I was so frantic to get to the hospital that I forgot to call you.”

If you do offer an explanation, it can help to reiterate your mistake and again acknowledge how the other person feels: “Again, I’m so sorry that I didn’t call you, and that you were stuck there waiting for me for an hour. I can only imagine how upset, worried, and angry you must be.”

Related Article: The Simplest Ways To Inspire People And Change Their Life

Step 3: Make the situation right

Good apologies include a reparation of some kind, either real or symbolic. Maybe you create an opportunity for the person you embarrassed to regain credibility. Or perhaps you admit your mistake to others, too, as a part of the reparation. In many relationships, a hug is a great reparation.

Often, all we need to do is explain what we are going to do differently the next time so that we don’t repeat the offending action or behavior. This helps us rebuild trust and repair the relationship.

If you aren’t sure how to make it right, just ask, “Is there anything I can do to make this up to you?”

Above all, deliver on any promises you make. When we feel guilty or embarrassed, sometimes we over-correct in our attempt to gain forgiveness. If the person is asking for something that you can’t give, say so, and say that you will give some thought to what you can give to make it up to him or her.

Knowing how to apologize well is at the top of my Sweet Spot Manifesto. It’s a life skill I want my children to practice and master. And it’s one that I’m still working on myself.

Read more great articles at The Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley

Tags: , , , , ,

1. 821456174640152@facebook.com' Bree D'Ambrosi says:

Holly Cosgrove

2. 199205743748841@facebook.com' Geeta Maharaj says:

it’s taking the lower seat for the greater good..not easy.

3. 10203656766738341@facebook.com' Karolyn Rice says:

NO. I’m sorry is enough. ENOUGH. take it or leave it or get the fuck run over.

4. 1639701129622302@facebook.com' Kelly Bruce says:

a times its difficult an also it depends to whom you are apologizing to

5. 419505721573045@facebook.com' Lose Weight With 3Week Diet says:

Good news : if you want to lose weight quickly and have a perfect body visit our page to know more about 3Week Diet 😉 <3

6. 10153633056434066@facebook.com' Dennis Baptista says:

Crumple a piece of paper into a ball.
    Ok, done.

Now tell it you’re sorry, and try to straighten it back out the way it was.
    I’m sorry…..Uncrumples paper.

Were you able to fix it the way it was before you crumpled it?
    No, it has wrinkles that I can’t fix.

Now do you understand?

7. 10153138043982894@facebook.com' Charles Barton Lamb says:

I’m sorry, I was wrong, I apologize. Done.

8. 10207950975363060@facebook.com' James P Moon says:

Never apologize. Simply inform them of the unintended consequences and thank them for their forgiveness.

Never say I’m sorry

• 178720275806737@facebook.com' Marie Aqua says:

Disagree on that but it’s respected 🙂

• 1060136097329820@facebook.com' Jana Johnson says:

I think you’re wrong in never saying you’re sorry. Its not weak to apologize. Apologizing even if you’re not wrong is you saying you love and value the person and relationship more than being right or wrong. Apologies are hard, but what’s more important?

• 10207950975363060@facebook.com' James P Moon says:

Jana Johnson if someone requires an apology from me even if I’m not wrong that person is irrational and has no business being in my life.

It’s more important to not engage in behavior that requires an apology.

Accidents happen, requiring an apology for an accident is a way of inflicting superiority over another.

9. 800446666720362@facebook.com' Champika Weraniyagoda says:

I feel this personnel…this way…apology can be requested and granted within the beautiful souls… ….there can be many ways to apologize…but the reason why it is requested and granted shall clearly understood by both parties….and corrective action taken Immediately not to tolerate the same thing again….finally fall in love again…happens…only may be with the souls blessed by the heaven…I mean it….

10. 10207499204255803@facebook.com' Bess Esster says:

I have no reson ti apologize but I will again; here it goes to my kids: I’m so sorry for everything I did wrong, I’m sorry my son for the time you needed new boots and I did not have the money to pay for your new boots, I’m so sorry to my daughter that I did not provide what you expected from me, I’m sorry to my parents that I was not the daughtour you wished for. And I’m so sorry to my friends and every one that knows me, and I thank you for everything

11. 10153748888644907@facebook.com' Mary Angela Vargas says:

Van is it too late now to say sorry? Hahaha

12. 1049065461779628@facebook.com' Veronica Romero says:

13. 857007651063388@facebook.com' Halil Amat says:

enthralled..!

14. 10203730611665771@facebook.com' Janelle Robinson says:

I usually add a few really reallys. And say it like pee wee herman from nice dreams when he apologized for stealing Cheech and Chongs money

15. 1499826663679814@facebook.com' Courtney Constance says:

This was very helpful

16. 10206926528140587@facebook.com' Mampho Ngakane says:

When I was younger and say Iam sorry to my mom, she wouldn’t take it but if I say it in Sesotho, she would take it.

17. 10207560881198315@facebook.com' Em Griesbach says:

An apology means nothing unless you actually mean it, learn from it, and don’t do it again-ever.

18. 510958119056043@facebook.com' Vernon Nielsen says:

change is the only apology, if you don’t do that you’re a liar and fake