Canadian Grad Student ‘Can Leave Her Body at Will’

Posted by on March 8, 2014 in Dying, NDE, & OBE with 10 Comments

Source: By Sarah Griffiths | MailOnline

A psychology graduate student at the University of Ottawa sheds light on the strange brain activity involved in out-of-body experiences

• Researchers at the University of Ottawa, Canada, studied the brain activity of a student who can drift outside her own body at will
  • Scientists believe the left side of several areas of the brain associated with kinaesthetic imagery are responsible for extra-corporeal experiences
  • They think the experiences could be more common than thought or that people only retain the ability to have them if they practice from childhood

People have long been fascinated by out-of-body experiences – are they just tricks of the mind or do they have some sort of spiritual significance?

Now new research has shed light on what it terms as ‘extra-corporeal experiences’ by studying the brain activity of a Canadian woman who claims she can drift outside her own body at will.

Scientists believe the left side of several areas of the brain associated with kinaesthetic imagery (the perception of the sensation of moving) are responsible for the sensation of being able to leave your body and float above it – and that more people might have similar experiences than thought.

Scientists believe the left side of several areas of the brain associated with kinaesthetic imagery are responsible for the sensation of being able to leave your body and float above it. Increased activity was seen in the middle and superior orbitofrontal gyri (A,B,D) the supramarginal gyrus (B) and inferior temporal gyrus (D)

Researchers at the University of Ottawa came across a psychology graduate who admitted she could have voluntary out-of-body experiences before she fell asleep.

The 24-year-old revealed she is able to see herself floating and rotating horizontally in the air above her body and can sometimes watch herself from above while remaining aware of her real body.

However, as she said she feels no emotions when she has the experiences, the scientists decided to classify her experiences as extra-corporeal experiences (ECE) as strong emotions such as shock, often accompany out-of-body experiences, Popular Science reported.

The Student’s Description of Her Extra Corporeal Experience:

• ‘I feel myself moving, or, more accurately, can make myself feel as if I am moving,’ the student told the researchers, who documented her report in their study.
  • ‘I know perfectly well that I am not actually moving. There is no duality of body and mind when this happens, not really.
  • ‘In fact, I am hyper-sensitive to my body at that point, because I am concentrating so hard on the sensation of moving.
  • ‘I am the one moving – me – my body. For example, if I “spin” for long enough, I get dizzy.
  • ‘I do not see myself above my body. Rather, my whole body has moved up. I feel it as being above where I know it actually is.
  • ‘I usually also picture myself as moving up in my mind’s eye, but the mind is not substantive. It does not move unless the body does,’ she said.

Andra Smith and Claude Messier used a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scanner to examine the student’s brain and believe she is the first person studied to have an ECE on demand without any brain abnormalities.

They discovered that the ECE involved a ‘strong deactivation of the visual cortex’.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2575550/The-woman-leave-body-Student-sheds-light-strange-brain-activity-involved-body-experiences.html#ixzz2vNditRFd

1. spnaik@yahoo.com' sandesh says:

Is it that she feels out of body or does she objectively go out? In Penn state med center over 3000 people reported out of body but no one could report back the sign kept at the ceiling that could be read only if you are out of body…! After 8 yrs they took sign out

2. gmcoop1007@yahoo.com' gmc says:

So interesting and necessary! Thank you!

3. crimsonblade10@hotmail.com' anonymous says:

interesting but i can dream before i sleep and catch glimpses of future deja vu

4. crimsonblade10@hotmail.com' anonymous says:

actually i can relate to this pretty well except i tend to fall down through my bed then experience something which can only be explained (by me anyways) as dimensional folding

5. crimsonblade10@hotmail.com' mason says:

i think this is the tip of the iceberg ive often woken up to a non existent face blocking my to have it drift away with other unrelated images clearer than any picture

6. crimsonblade10@hotmail.com' mason says:

blocking my vision**

7. crimsonblade10@hotmail.com' mason says:

and i think it is not long before we begin seeing many more amazing things the brain can do (and be able to record and analyze the evidence afterwards)

8. ALANWWAITE@GMAIL.COM' Alan Waite says:

I’m very instructed in your research. I had an out of body experience in 1948. in Washington DC.”s Rock Creek Park.
    It was right after I fell out of a pick up truck backward while we were going around a corner.
    Landed on my head and bounced across the intersection tumbling head over heals, and warped around a tree .
    all of a sudden I was looking down at me lying there with people standing around me. As was rising slowly up in the heavens.
    I didn’t feel any pain and didn’t care what the people were saying about me. It was very quite , I couldn’t hear any one talking. But, could see everything., as the scene was getting smaller ,I started thinking this is pretty cool. So quite and no pain.
    Than I said “I don’t want to do this any more” , all of a sudden I telescoped back in to my body . Still no pain yet, my body was covered
    in blood , my hair was full of blood, my face all bloody , I was a mess.
    By now the police had arrived , took one look at me and said get in the car, your going to the hospital.
    When I got in to the ER. than the pain was unbearable.
    The doctors put me out and I woke up hours later. wrap in bandages..
    I can still see everything like it happen to this day 66 years later.

9. michael.e.balcombe@gmail.com' Michael says:

This is something I experienced from time to time before I was 12yrs old. I once saw what looked like a rusty screw driver on the chimney of our house. There was an occasion when my father had to get up on the roof to fix something, he rather amazed to find the object which turned out to be a rusty old chisel with a wooden handle. Another time I saw into our chicken coup that one of my pet hens had died again verified when dad went down to feed them that morning. From time to time I still have these experiences, but nowhere as frequently as I used to back then.

10. firestonemarch@gmail.com' Abe F. March says:

I had an OBE during open heart sugery to replace my aortic heart valvue. I was floating about the operating table and saw the surgeons working on my heart. It was a wonderful feeling in that I had no pain. There was whiteness in the realm where I was. I knew that when I returned to my body that there would be pain. When I returned to my body I felt a hand on my shoulder and the voice of my brother-in-law who had died a year earlier. He said, “Don’t worry Abe, you will make it.” I couldn’t shake the experience and relived this experience often. Subsequently, I no longer had a fear of death with the feeling that death meant a transformation into another realm.