Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Written by on December 23, 2015 in Conscious Evolution, Meditation with 14 Comments

barbara-sinclair-holistic-health-are-you-afraid-of-the-dark

From my 12-21-15 post on barbarasinclair.com

Tonight here on the East Coast where I live, the Winter Solstice arrives at 11:48 p.m. This is the longest night of the year. Darkness prevails and winter is officially here. Are you afraid of the dark?

When I was a child I always needed a nightlight on. I was uncomfortable in tunnels and caves and being outside at night. As I grew into adulthood, I craved sunshine, and even a cloudy gloomy day would unnerve me. I loved the long summer days and short nights.

Not anymore. Something has shifted these past few years. Maybe it’s my age, maybe it’s my meditation practice. Maybe I’m just more aware.

I relish all the seasons and still love a bright sunny day (I'm not a vampire!), but I feel completely content this time of year and crave the silence that I feel when cocooned in the dark.

Away from the big city lights of NYC, I drift off to sleep in complete darkness. And when I meditate, I put on an eye mask to block out any light. It’s in total darkness that I turn inward and hope to connect with All That Is.

Sometimes being in the dark does nothing more than calm my racing thoughts and fears. But the more I go into the darkness the more I get answers, messages, and experience a feeling of pure Peace.

It seems we’re always seeking the Light – the one at the end of the tunnel where our misery will end, or the one that can dispel all evil.

But until we learn how to embrace the darkness that visits us individually,  I don’t think we can ever fully experience the Light.

When I look back on my life, it’s mostly the dark, painful times that brought me to a place of illumination. They were unwelcome gifts that I didn’t want but somehow survived and moved through without looking back – stronger and brighter than before.

“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” –Rumi

I like to think of the dark as necessary incubation – like the seed that’s  lying dormant underground for a while before seeking the light and growing again.

This is the gift of the Winter Solstice and the months that follow.

A time to pause, rest and reflect, before moving into action. For everything, there is a season. This is a time for deeply restoring and rejuvenating ourselves.

Don’t be afraid to embrace the lengthy darkness during this time. Instead of fighting Nature with electric lights, try using candles at night once the sun goes down. Turn off your electronics as much as possible. It really is a peaceful time which naturally allows us to slow down and go within if we choose.

Never fear, the days will again grow longer and the nights shorter. Mother Nature will lead us once more into the Light, inviting us to shed our darkness and leave it behind.

Happy Winter Solstice, my friends!

Much love,
Barbara

Barbara Sinclair is a visual artist and holistic health practitioner with a passion for Ayurveda, the ancient mind/body system of healing and longevity. Barbara was able to heal herself from years of fibromyalgia, a chronic pain condition, by adopting an Ayurvedic lifestyle. She is now pain-free and joyfully shares these methods with her readers and clients. Barbara received her Ayurveda training from Wise Earth Ayurveda, the first school of Ayurveda teachings in the US. She is also a certified holistic health counselor (Institute for Integrative Nutrition) and certified energy healer (Deborah King Center).You can contact Barbara HERE for an Ayurvedic consultation or energy healing session. To receive her monthly newsletters as well as weekly practical Ayurvedic tips click HERE.

Barbara’s Website: https://www.barbarasinclair.com
Barbara on  Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BarbaraSinclairHolisticHealth
Barbara on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BSinclairNYC

Barbara posts a new article on CLN every Wednesday.  To view her articles, click HERE.

1. 789587907834905@facebook.com' Rex McDonald says:

I thought Winter Solstice was about the rebirth of the light, not darkness prevailing. Not trolling, just asking. I’m no expert…

2. 10207568515707555@facebook.com' Adrian Aidey Wilkinson says:

The darkside ………….and the light!!!!

3. 10207568515707555@facebook.com' Adrian Aidey Wilkinson says:
  4. 10207568515707555@facebook.com' Adrian Aidey Wilkinson says:
  5. 10207568515707555@facebook.com' Adrian Aidey Wilkinson says:
  6. 10206425253462520@facebook.com' Steve Elder says:

I don’t know about winter….seems to me that since everyday is getting longer….should be the the first day of summer…

7. 10208037315193549@facebook.com' Szabi Molnar says:

Winter solstace = rebirth of the sun. Literally opposite of darkness prevailing.

8. 1095176397161585@facebook.com' Barbara Tims Halbert says:

I am allergic to the sun.so darkness is where I live!

9. 10207951003523520@facebook.com' David Copping says:

Only when them wicken folk are out and about.

10. 1632451627038850@facebook.com' Wendy Hardin says:

Not afraid of the dark when I live out away from a city or town. I’ve walked in the high desert around my house at 4 in the morning. Coyotes, rabbits, owls, none of these bother me as much as walking down a dark street alone. Out among nature I don’t feel alone or frightened.

11. 1519945904997867@facebook.com' Christopher Witehira says:

Darkness is my favourite, only murdering monsters lurking in the dark scare some people. Its awesome with soft lights

12. 1254024967947887@facebook.com' Diana Campbell says: