How Transcendental Consciousness Can Take Away The Fear of Death

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

death life

Death. The very word casts a pall of doom. Why is it so upsetting to us? Perhaps because it conflicts with two different ways in which we know the world. We know intuitively we are immortal beings, an essence deep within us is eternal. Our sense perceptions, though, tell us we die and cease to exist. We see that the person we knew is gone. The body lying there is not them at all. Where are they? Where are we going to be when we die? How can an immortal being cease to exist? This contradiction between two kinds of knowing creates an epistemological crisis in us. What is really true?

This contradiction is bridged when we reach the state of samadhi while meditating (my experience has been through Transcendental Meditation). In samadhi our brain waves, breath rate, and blood chemistry change, and we enter a fourth state of consciousness distinct from waking, dreaming, and deep sleep. It is called transcendental consciousness because it’s beyond the other three, existing at a more fundamental level. Here the duality and materiality of waking state are only surface conditions. The deeper underlying reality we perceive is unity, where the separations fade and everything, including matter, is experienced as one unified field of consciousness.

Entering it, our thoughts fall away, our mind becomes silent, and we transcend, go beyond, our everyday relative self. We leave all that behind, analogous to dying and leaving the body, and we shift into the transcendental Self, the field of consciousness that manifests and animates the universe. As our individual ego fades, we merge with this unified field where everything becomes one. But paradoxically we’re still us; we don’t disappear into it. Instead we experience this field as the interface between God and the universe, God and us, filled with divine love, energy, and intelligence. But we experience it usually for only a few moments; it’s too overwhelming for us to stay longer. We think How wonderful! and are pulled out into the relative again, back into thoughts and boundaries. But our minds have been infused with some of the qualities of that field, and we bring those into our activity, making our life more energetic and enjoyable.

The divine energy of transcendental consciousness heals our nervous system of stresses, or karma, that we’ve accumulated in the past. As we progress through many experiences of leaving the small self and merging with the big Self but still maintaining an individual identity, this state of samadhi becomes familiar to us and we can stay there longer. We no longer fear death. We understand that just as we join with the transcendental field in meditation and then return from it again, we join with it in death, rest awhile, and then return in a new body filled with desires to experience relative life again. But once all our desires are fulfilled and we are clear of karma (in the state of enlightenment), we don’t take another body. We stay there with God. Why go anywhere?

hathaway_300About The Author:

William T. Hathaway’s new book, Lila, the Revolutionary, is a fable for adults. It features an eight-year-old girl who sparks a world revolution for social justice. Chapters are posted at www.amazon.com/dp/1897455844. A selection of his writing is also available at www.peacewriter.org.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. wlekamge@gmail.com' Walter says:

And, may I ask, who or what is meant by god?

Vipaka (results) are the inevitable outcome of Karma (actiion) therefore, how is it possible to wipe out the Karma that you have already performed? Eg. If you leap (Karma) from a highrise, immaterial of you are aware of the law of gravity the result (Vipaka) is inevitable.

2. 1008610195877854@facebook.com' Laine Walker says:

Death isn’t a scary concept for me. I love to talk about it. More people should. I am not afraid to die, I just worry about the people I’d be leaving behind. Death for me, means liberation. This doesn’t mean that I will go seeking it out, because I want to do my best to live in such a way to avoid living more possible incarnations.

3. 930547750371324@facebook.com' Sabine Rijpma-Esser says:

It is not death that makes with fear, but the long, slow and painful decay of my body! Only, a quick painless death, there is not! The pain, fear makes me! A long ordeal, I do fear

4. 506055966224271@facebook.com' Cantor Llamoso Florence says:

love this article really interesting…im afraid to die not for my self but for my children…

5. 1593463720889506@facebook.com' Dr Kimberly McGeorge, ND, CNH says:

>Sparks ideas for our page

6. 10205681354145180@facebook.com' Dean Price says:

we are a spirit/soul with a short time to experience life in human form and evolve/learn something before we return

7. 10205857144167154@facebook.com' Michael Crump says:

Well I’m going to take Socrates point of view on this. He said, “The only thing I KNOW, is that I don’t KNOW anything. How could we know? If I can sit down and talk with a person that died, say 5 years ago, then I might be able to know. And please don’t bring up the resurrection of Jesus written by men 30 years after his death (with some glaring contradictions.) And I’m OK with not knowing, in fact (I don’t know) but that may be the point. So make everyday count, because who knows, your consciousness could dissolve with your body when you die. There is no proof to either argument; therefore, I don’t KNOW.