Christina Sarich, Contributor
This article will presume you have a basic knowledge of the pineal gland, an important endocrine gland that is said to be the seat of enlightenment. If you need to back up a little and inform yourself more about what the pineal gland is, you can start here before reading further.
Activating your pineal gland, or spiritual ‘eye’ and detoxing it are two different things. In essence, the detoxification allows you to remove the crystallized deposits, which keep the gland as a caged bird, or a princess jailed in her own ivory tower. Once the pineal gland is decalcified, you can start to practice things which will help to ‘turn it on’ and amp up natural production of your body’s own psychedelic drug DMT. The actor, Jim Carrey, talks about how thought is responsible for almost all of the suffering we experience, and how he realized this through an activation of his pineal gland.
In his book, and documentary The Spirit Molecule, Rick Strasssman talks about how the chemical DMT allows a deeper understanding of ‘reality’ as we know it. Many shamans and yogis have practiced different means of awakening the pineal gland for centuries. So, without further ado, here is what you need to do to start to detox and awaken this shining gem of an endocrine gland:
- Stop the calcification of the gland by reducing halides. These come in the form of fluoride, chlorine, and bromide, all of which come into your body primarily through the water you drink and bathe in. Install a water purification system. Drink only de-chlorinated and de-fluorinated water.
- Remove the use of pesticides, fungicides, and mercury (from toxic fish primarily), and other toxins from your diet. Only purchase organic, non-GMO foods. It is no mistake that Monsanto and companies like them have invested so heavily in keeping you ‘unrealized.’ Not only do GMO foods cause cancer, but they inhibit the functioning of the pineal gland.
- Stop using sugar, caffeine, and alcohol to numb yourself. While these ‘drugs,’ and yes they are drugs if you consider how they affect your brain chemistry, can give you a temporary fix, they also impede the pineal gland’s functioning and add to its calcification.
- Reduce refined starches, they turn to sugar in your body any how, and can impede the functioning of the pineal gland. Instead eat complex starches like brown rice, or spelt flour.
- Reduce stress. Cortisol and Adrenaline, as well as other hormones that are created by the adrenal glands when you are stressed can interfere with melatonin and serotonin, the sister hormones to DMT, or the pineal elixir that helps us wake up. Interestingly, we make more melatonin when we are in complete darkness. This is what allows the ‘inner’ light to shine more brightly. While you can sleep for three days straight, this is hard to do without some kind of sleeping pill. The ancient yogis and shamans would sit in caves in meditation in order to induce higher levels of melatonin, and thus awaken their pineal glands.
- Stop Smoking. Tobacco smoke is toxic for the body in general, but has extremely detrimental effects on pineal health. This is true of marijuana as well.
- Drugs like cocaine, heroine, etc. cause the pineal gland to falter and can awaken portals of spiritual reality prematurely, or cause them to be very distorted. They can also shut down our faculties for ‘higher awareness’ altogether.
- Eat raw cacao – or dark chocolate. Chocolate in its pure form can help to decalcify the pineal gland.
- Consume neem extract. Neem is one of India’s super herbs. It has been used for thousands of years and purifies almost every system of the body.
- Reduce meat and dairy.
- Reduce acidic beverages like soda, and energy drinks (also due to sugar and caffeine content).
Enhancing the Inner Light
There are many ways to enhance the inner light of the third eye, and to elicit higher concentrations of DMT. Drinking Ayahuasca is one of them, practicing yoga is another. Inversions are particularly helpful because they increase blood flow to the pineal gland when you are upside down. Professor Watts once said this about DMT, “Load Universe Into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.” Our brains actually yearn for DMT.
Inversions are great for other reasons, too. According to David Coulter, Ph.D., who taught anatomy at the University of Minnesota for 18 years, when one inverts, tissue fluids of the lower extremities drain-far more effectively than when one is asleep. Areas of congestion clear. In a 1992 Yoga International article on Headstand and the circulatory system, Coulter wrote: “If you can remain in an inverted posture for just 3 to 5 minutes, the blood will not only drain quickly to the heart, but tissue fluids will flow more efficiently into the veins and lymph channels of the lower extremities and of the abdominal and pelvic organs, facilitating a healthier exchange of nutrients and wastes between cells and capillaries.”
The most profound affect of yogic inversions is on what the gurus in India call the ‘amrit’ or nectar of Brahma. There are countless yogic practices, which aim at helping this nectar flow. The nectar they are referring to is the very same chemical DMT which helps us awaken to the more expansive Universe.
There are additional yogic practices that help to awaken the pineal gland. They include yoga nidra, discussed extensively in the book Pharma Sutra, and third eye meditations as practiced by yogi, Amrit Desai.
“Yoga Nidra is the marriage of science and spirit-a transformative technique whose powerful healing qualities transcend all aspects of your being. Modern research has proven the benefits of meditative techniques on lowering stressand promoting overall health:
- Electroencephalograph studies (EEG) demonstrate the increase of alpha brain waves, which are directly linked with the relaxation of the nervous system
- Stress hormones are reduced, blood pressure and heart rates decline and the metabolic system slows down
- Regular practice adds years to your lifespan (5-12 years if practiced daily)
- Reactivating the pineal gland secretes melatonin, which helps prevent illness, retard premature aging, induce more restful sleep, boost the immune system, and promote healing” (AmritYoga.org)
Another yogic technique for stimulating the pineal gland is an advanced yoga mudra involving placing the tongue in the upper palate to make it more flexible, then eventually guiding it into the nasal passages (like I said, usually only advanced yogis can do this).
A Hatha Yoga text, the Khecarīvidyā, states that kechari mudra enables one to raise Kundalini and access various stores of amrita in the head, which subsequently flood the body. Siva, in the same text, gives instructions on how to cut the lingual frenulum as a necessary prerequisite for the kechari mudra practice.
Binaural Beats and Meditation: More Theta Waves
When the pineal gland is awakened, we experience vivid imagery and complete relaxation. We usually only experience a theta brain wave state just between wakefulness and sleep, as we drift off from the ‘edge’ of consciousness. In this state we are extremely receptive to the wisdom of the Universe. We can literally tap into higher intelligence and other dimensions.
In a yogic or shamanic state of consciousness, marked by high theta brain wave activity (an often induced by meditation, drum playing with a steady beat of four and one-half times per second, or with binaural beats meant to entrain the brain waves for theta activity) we can access a ‘trance’ state which is more likely to come from an opened pineal gland and result in feelings of absolute bliss.
“Theta waves have been identified as the gateway to learning and memory. Theta meditation increases creativity, enhances learning, reduces stress and awakens intuition as well as other extrasensory perception skills. Theta consciousness allows us to connect with our creative inspirations, spiritual guidance and peak experiences. Through theta wave meditation, we can open our Third Eye and access the delta waves that unite us with Universal Energy and Cosmic Consciousness.” (multidimensions.com)
The pineal gland truly is our gateway to other worlds. It needs to be cared for and nurtured back to its true health to allow us access to our highest wisdom, peace and joy.
If you know of other ways to awaken the pineal gland and help it to become detoxified, please add your comments below, with corresponding links where appropriate.
There is also a great two-hour lecture on this subject, the pineal gland, courtesy of the Terrence McKenna forum.
About the Author
Christina Sarich is a musician, yogi, humanitarian and freelance writer who channels many hours of studying Lao Tzu, Paramahansa Yogananda, Rob Brezny, Miles Davis, and Tom Robbins into interesting tidbits to help you Wake up Your Sleepy Little Head, and See the Big Picture. Her blog is Yoga for the New World. Her latest book is Pharma Sutra: Healing the Body And Mind Through the Art of Yoga.
This article is offered under Creative Commons license. It’s okay to republish it anywhere as long as attribution bio is included and all links remain intact.