Fifty Food Items To Stockpile Now: Health Ranger Releases Preparedness Foods Shopping List_Featured_, Food Thursday, August 23rd, 2012
(By Mike Adams, NaturalNews) With food prices skyrocketing and food supplies looking increasingly questionable for 2013, you’ll be happy to know I’ve selected and assembled a list of recommended storable foods from a trusted discount source. All the foods listed below have a great shelf life, from two years to a decade. In this article, I’ve listed two sources: 1) Things you can buy at your local grocery store, and 2) Things you can get at a discount at an online organic foods retailer.
Remember: The U.S. government is stockpiling food (and ammo, too) like crazy. Even the government’s website www.Ready.gov encourages citizens to stock up on emergency supplies and “make a plan.” The word “stockpiling” used to have a negative meaning, describing “hoarding” behavior. But these days the word “stockpiling” simply describes smart people who are intelligently preparing to protect themselves, their families and even their local communities (church groups, neighborhoods, etc.) from the possibility of serious disruptions in the food supply.
Keep in mind that not everything I list below is organic. Although I’m a huge advocate of organic foods, when it comes to storable foods I often bend my own rule and allow for non-organic because it’s for emergency use. (I’m not eating these foods every day, so I’m not as concerned about the non-organic status.)
For the first preparedness shopping list shown below, you can order any or all of these (choose your own quantities) on this special page I’ve personally prepared for you at GreenPolkaDotBox.com.
The second list focuses on items you can buy at any grocery store, right now!
Shopping list items selected by the Health Ranger
• Bar Harbor brand – Clam Chowder, Fish Chowder, Fish Stock, Whole Maine Cherrystone Clams – I’m really liking the Bay Harbor brand of clam chowder and fish chowder. Although not certified organic, this is the only chowder I’ve ever found that isn’t salted to death. The quality of the chowder is excellent, the spices are completely natural, and they use no MSG or chemical garbage. Personally, I’ve stocked up on 48 cans of their clam chowder and 48 cans of their fish chowder, and this will be my backup supply of chowder in case the food supplies get disrupted.
• Sensible Foods – CherryBerry Crunch Dried Fruit, Tropical Blend – Although not certified organic, this provides a long-term storable supply of fruit nutrients which are crucial if you’re living in stressful times. Lots of natural vitamin C in these fruits, and the shelf life is at least 2 years.
• Artisana – Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – This is a very high quality brand of 100% Cold-pressed Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil. I like coconut oil as a preparedness item because it’s a food, a topical healing substance, and it can even be used as a mechanical lubricant in a pinch.
• Bob’s Red Mill – Bountiful Black Bean Soup Mix – It’s a great way to store a large quantity of “soup potential” in a small space. It’s made of Black Beans, Black-Eyes Peas, Pearly Barley and Navy Beans. Add some coconut oil to the soup mix and you’ve got a healthy fat.
• Bob’s Red Mill – Vegi Soup Mix – I like this soup mix because it’s delicious, easy to make and uses no MSG or other weird chemicals. Ingredients include Green Split Peas, Yellow Split Peas, Barley, Lentils and Vegetable Pasta (Containing Whole Wheat Flour, Dehydrated Spinach, Tomato, Celery, Onion, Beets, Garlic).
• Bob’s Red Mill – Organic Creamy Buckwheat Hot Cereal – A super healthy, high-protein cereal that’s great for survival and preparedness. Better than oatmeal for this purpose.
• Carrington Farms – Organic Milled Flax Paks – 100% Organic Cold Milled Micro Cleansed Flax Seed – I’ve found these to be outstanding portable packets of flax seeds, an important source of omega-3 fatty acids. Most flax packs are too large, and flax tends to go rancid very quickly, so these small packs are perfect for portable food storage. You can use these in oatmeal, smoothies, salads, bake mixes, and practically anywhere.
• Coconut Secret – Raw Coconut Crystals – These are very handy as a natural sweetener. They contain far more minerals than processed white sugar, and in a collapse scenario, natural sweeteners will be a fantastic barter item.
• Newman’s Own – Raisins- Believe it or not, raisins are a fantastic form of portable nutrition and healthy calories. They should be part of any food preparedness shopping list.