You hear a lot of talk about chakra healing, and even about what method is best, but what you don’t hear about very often (and should!) is that each chakra is different, so the best healing modality is different for each chakra.
This article is part of a 7-part series in which I’m going to share the methods that work best for each chakra. We’ll start with the root chakra and work our way up.
When looking at which is the best modality for any given chakra, the two key things to ask are:
1. What element is this chakra related to — earth, water, fire, air, sound or light?
2. What is sense is this chakra related to – smell, taste, sight, touch, hearing or “sixth sense”?
In this article, I’m going to apply these questions to the root chakra which is the red energy located in your tailbone area that governs your legs and feet and is related to your stability, home, foundation, family, career and finances.
It’s your most base energy center, so it is carries your will to survive and its element is earth and your sense of smell.
The root chakra is the manifestation center, so it’s about everything physical, especially your body.
With these things in mind, here are the best healing modalities for boosting and balancing your first chakra:
1. Hatha Yoga – this physical style of yoga boosts the first chakra by strengthening and grounding your body, especially if you focus on the standing poses such as triangle, side angle and the warrior series — and squatting is great too!
2. Aromatherapy – Because the first chakra is related to your sense of smell, aromatherapy is a great way to access it and boost it. Here’s a great video and article on the six best essential oils for the root chakra. Be careful not to think too traditionally here. Consider going beyond just essential oils and use scents that remind you of home and get out into nature. What smells reminds you of home? Maybe your mom’s best cookie recipe. And how can you get out into nature more?
3. NLP Anchoring – Neuro-Linguistic Programming has a nifty little technique that allows you to pair stimuli to unconsciously recall states you want to experience. So, if you want to feel strong and grounded (which are good first chakra qualities), you can remember a time when you felt really strong and grounded, and as you bring up that state, you can press a particular knuckle. Do this enough times, and that knuckle becomes a “button” you can push to bring up the sensation of being strong and grounded. This technique is great for the first chakra because it’s based on using your body in a repetitive way and repetition is a very first chakra quality.
4. Any activity that grounds you will heal your root chakra. Some such activities are: drumming, tribal-type dancing, gardening, making pottery and earthing.
5. Crystals and stones – since the element of the root chakra is earth, stones are a perfect healing tool here. You can simply put root chakra stones on your tailbone, legs and feet. And if you really want a boost, you can bring aromatherapy into the mix and maybe even get hot stone, aromatherapy massage.
6. My Chakra Boosters Healing Tattoos™. I healed my own life-long root chakra problem with a first chakra tattoo, and then decided to create healing tattoos for the whole world. Since tattoos are worn on the body, they are a classic first chakra healing method. Perhaps this is why I sell more root chakra tattoos than any other chakra. Here’s my story on how and why I created them.
If you know other healing modalities that are great for the root chakra, or if you want to share your experiences with any of the methods I’ve suggested here, please comment below. I’d love to hear what works for you!
Love and blessings,
About Vicki Howie
icki Howie is the Creator of Chakra Boosters Healing Tattoos™ (find out what inspired her to create them here). She’s also the Creator of Chakra Love, the Chakra Life Cycle System® and she’s the Co-Editor of Conscious Life News. You can visit her website chakraboosters.com,facebook page and youtube channel for lots of free chakra info and gifts. If you enjoy her innovative chakra work, you can pre-order her new book “The Key to Your Chakras” here on amazon.com. Love and blessings!