3-minute Earth and space weather news for January 21, 2013:
- Noctilucent clouds are ten times higher than cirrus clouds. Scientists are puzzled by their formation.
- There was a swarm of earthquakes on the mid-Atlantic ridge.
- There was also a 5.1 magnitude quake in Nicaragua and a 5.7 in eastern Russia.
- The Mount Tongariro volcano in New Zealand is showing signs of restlessness.
- High speed winds and substantial precipitation expected in the UK.
- Arctic air is flowing into the northern U.S. causing severe cold.
- Cosmic ray density continues to fall.
- There is a large coronal hole on the sun that is set to face Earth today.
Cold Coming: http://www.weather.com/health/cold-flu/cold-plunge-below-zero-frostbite-20130115