“Derek

29 Nettle Tea Benefits: Sipping on Nettle Tea for Better Health

Posted by on July 29, 2013 in Health, Herbs, Seeds & Spices with 67 Comments

Christina Sarich | Naturalsociety | July 29th, 2013

Benefits-of-tea-3Milarepa, the Tibetan saint, was said to have lived on nothing but nettles for decades of meditation. Yet another weed that most of us pull and throw out, like dandelions, nettle is a wonderful health-boosting herb that should never be dowsed with weed-killer, but plucked and dried to make into an herbal panacea that could make the local pharmacy go bankrupt. Nettle, from the flowering plant genus Urtica in the family Urticaceae, has so many health benefits, they can hardly fit into this small space. Keep reading to see 29 nettle tea benefits.

Stinging nettle is: diuretic, astringent, pectoral, anodyne, tonic, rubefacient, styptic, anthelmintic, nutritive, hermetic, anti-rheumatic, anti-allergenic, decongestant, expectorant, anti-spasmodic, and anti-histamine, anti-lithic/lithotrophic, herpetic, galactagogue, and an anti-histamine.

Look: Health Benefits of 60+ Foods

“7-Gifts

29 Nettle Tea Benefits

To give you an idea of just how powerful this singular plant is, nettle has the potential to treat the following ailments:

• Nettle stimulates the lymph system to boost immunity
  • Nettle relieves arthritis symptoms
  • Nettle promotes a release from uric acid from joints
  • Helps to support the adrenals
  • It helps with diabetes mellitus
  • Strengthens the fetus in pregnant women
  • Promotes milk production in lactating women
  • Relieves menopausal symptoms
  • Helps with menstrual cramps and bloating
  • Helps break down kidney stones
  • Reduces hypertension
  • Helps with respiratory tract disease
  • Supports the kidneys
  • Helps asthma sufferers
  • Stops bleeding
  • Reduces inflammation
  • Reduces incident of prostate cancer
  • Minimizes skin problems
  • Eliminates allergic rhinitis
  •  Lessens nausea
  • Cures the common cold
  • Helps with osteoarthritis
  • Alleviates diarrhea
  • Helps with gastrointestinal disease, IBS, and constipation
  • Reduces gingivitis and prevents plaque when used as a mouth wash.
  • Has been shown to be helpful to in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease
  • Relieves neurological disorders like MS, ALS and sciatica
  • Destroys intestinal worms or parasites
  • Supports the endocrine health by helping the thyroid, spleen and pancreas

You can brew stinging nettle leaves in almost boiling water and drink daily as a curative to all these ailments. Just be sure to check with your doctor since nettle can interfere with certain pharmaceuticals. Enjoy nettle tea benefits today!

This post appeared at Naturalsociety

More from Naturalsociety

Tags: , ,

• jamesplaysgamez@hotmail.co.uk' james flett says:

I disagree entirely Irene. I understand why you would think that but your poisonous lies are corrupting this site. Take your hate speech elsewhere

1. julie.montinieri@gmail.com' Julie says:

Can you direct me to sources for the nettle information?

2. holofractal@gmail.com' hyipbox says:

Thats a long list of good benefits! Are there any side effects? Also I’d like to know if there is any benefit for kidney or liver patients, or for those who consume booze?

3. My naturopath recommended I try nettle tea to help deal with a rash I got after using a soap that didn’t agree with me and to help clear my skin. I’ve been drinking it for a week (every other day-ish) and have definitely noticed a difference!

4. aball@plumblink.co.za' ADELE says:

Where can I get the Nettle tea? Do you sell Nettle tea bags? I would like to find out if this tea will help my son’s acne skins on his back. And also I would like to know if this will also help to lose the weight as well. Would be glad to hear from you. I am from SA. thank you Adele

5. dukeboy17@gmail.com' Matt says:

I work with ALS patient and my father has ALS. Is there any factual information about nettle working for ALS. And, what is nettle acutally supposed to do for ALS patients? ALS is a progressive neurological disease that has no cure and there is no way to slow it down.

• where can seed be purchased
      how & best place to grow
      other info

• leonteofisto@gmail.com' Nilo says:

I guess there are lots of this nettle plant in the Philippines. Just take a look at some wild places like farms, farm lot, along riverbanks, even in your backyards. this nettle plants started to appear during rainy season, and places with wetlands and tropical climate.

6. Nadia_lumsden@hotmail.co.uk' Nadia says:

Cures the common cold? Really?

7. proudslav@gmail.com' Roman says:

HEY GUYS YOU CAN FIND NETTLE GROWING IN THE LOCAL PARKS OR FOREST I DID, CUT IT OUT DRY IT AND DRINK IT, YOU CAN CHECK IF ITS NETTLE BY GETTING SOME SKIN CONTACT WITH IT IF IT STINGS THAN ITS NETTLE FOR SURE! THIS IS BEST FREE WAY TO HEALTH, ITS GOD GIVEN PLANT FOR ALL OF US TO GET TREATED :)) GOD BLESS

8. proudslav@gmail.com' Roman says:

WHEN I SAID DRY IT DRINK IT MEANS DRY IT PLACE IT IN HOT WATER AND MAKE TEA OUT OF IT 100% PURE RAW NETTLE MORE POWER TO IT 🙂 NOT LIKE DRAINED ONCE FROM STORES

9. Nettle is all this and more! I actually harvest, dry and package FRESH Wild Nettle picked from my property in the Washington State Cascade Mountains! Support handmade 🙂

10. npmenard@yahoo.fr' Npm says:

I found this for you:
    More nettle cures

— Reduces gingivitis and prevents plaque as a mouth rinse.
    — Relieves chest congestion and coughing, bronchitis, COPD and TB.
    — Is helpful in the treatment of Alzheimers.
    — Relieves neurological disorders such as MS, ALS and sciatica.
    — Remedies made from the plant’s roots prevent night time urination in children.
    — Destroys intestinal worms and parasites.
    — Supports the endocrine system including the thyroid, spleen and pancreas.

Warning

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036080_stinging_nettles_remedies_arthritis.html##ixzz2zbqfkQtm

11. rhean_a5@yahoo.com' seria r.rance says:

I am a filipino .I just want to know the exact name of nettle leaf tea in Philippine language. thank you.

12. annielevyevermore@gmail.com' Annie says:

I think the advice is always to start with the botanical name, which is: Urtica dioica. Good luck 🙂

13. berickson@Live.ca' Budd says:

Please provide sources for this information. As far as I can see there is no sufficient evidence for these claims. At this point it seems like this benefits are just speculation.

14. berickson@Live.ca' Budd says:

Please provide sources for this information. As far as I can see there isn’t sufficient evidence to support these claims. At this point it seems like these benefits are just speculation.

15. Tender_dana@yahoo.com' DaNaD says:

makagalit dahon tsaa

16. Tender_dana@yahoo.com' DaNaD says:

The name of nettle leaf tea in Pilipino language is makagalit dahon tsaa. you always can use Google translate to find out things

17. marywms929@hotmail.com' Mary says:

Article does not tell you where to buy the tea.

18. FionnaDonaghy@eircom.net' Fionna says:

Hi I drink wellbeing nettle tea from the health food store. It’s organic. I drink it every day as I suffer from recurring bladder infections. I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be better for me to take the real thing from my garden as I have plenty. I just thought the tea bags were good enough up until now 🙂

19. swendleton@yahoo.com' Sherry says:

Traditional Medicinals sells a really nice line of herb teas including Nettle Leaf tea. I buy mine at Safeway so your local grocery store will probably have it.

20. k@gmail.com' Jill says:

Hello Matt, if you’re referring to Alzheimer’s get your father off wheat, sugar, seed oils and all grains immediately.
    Get the book Wheat Belly via wheatbellyblog.com and consult the writer, cardiologist Dr William Davis via his WheatBelly Facebook page.
    Alzheimer’s is caused primarily by inflammation and according to Dr David Perlmutter,neurologist, is referred to as Type 3 Diabetes.
    Get his book Grain Brain and you can ask him questions via Twitter or contact him at drperlmutter.com
    Good luck, hope this helps.

21. Kimkinnyc@aol.com' Kim says:

I picked some up yesterday from target. $4.99.

22. novydaria@gmail.com' Natasha says:

Someone else posted the same, but can you post the resources for the above info?
    Thanks

23. fawxydula@yahoo.com' Fawn says:

I love nettle tea. For those of you who don’t know, it is related to the hemp plant, and like hemp leaves (not the flower buds mind you, which people smoke to get high) it has many healing properties which the FDA and AMA will not verify due to the fact that these natural remedies keep people out of doctors offices and off prescription drugs. They would lose out on LOTs of money if the public knew these things. Sad but very true. Sometimes you have to trust your instincts, not what docs and health professionals of America say, because their true best interest is in their patients money. Not the patients true health and well being.

• miticvaleric@yahoo.com' Valy says:

Sooo, very true!!!Health Insurance and pharmaceutical companies are the loss of our modern world…back to the roots when possible, that’s what we need to do!of course that will not apply when you fracture your foot, you must see a doctor! Otherwise keep up the good spirit folks that will chase away a lot of diseases !

24. littledinobug@gmail.com' Monique says:

I love Nettle tea. You can also use fresh young nettles as a substitute for spinach (cooked!) in recipes for added benefits. Right now I have some stupid bronchitis thing going on, so I brewed up some nettle tea with added ginger, lemon and honey. I’m not coughing nearly as much. Such good stuff. My CSA has nettles growing wild everywhere, so they try to include them in shares, and make their own nettle tea from what they can’t feasibly fit into the shares, They grow A LOT of nettles.

There was a real reason why it was considered one of the nine sacred herbs in Viiking Lore. (Google it up) It was highly valued as a nutritional powerhouse after a long winter, and it’s medicinal properties after a battle. Lost a few pints of blood? Drink some nettle tea!.

25. Jennyjchapman@gmail.com' Jenny says:

Fionna you can certainly use it fresh from your garden! Use gloves to avoid the stings. You can dry it or pop it into a teapot fresh. We also make nettle pie (just like spinach pie) from the fresh plant, and have even made pesto with it! Plenty of info on web for cooking w nettles. Good luck!

26. missalissa22@yahoo.com' Melissa says:

I recently got a bag of nettles in my box of produce from a local urban farm. I boiled the nettles to make the tea and used the leaves in a potato-nettle soup, though being a meat eating family I added some bacon to the recipe. Very yummy!

27. a7627581@drdrb.net' Nettle Lord says:

nettles made me drive safely and jump long distances. i like to get raw nettles and rub them on my arms for relief from skin irritation.

/joking

28. sigaukeg@yahoo.co.uk' Grace says:

Nettle tea in Filipino is Makagalit tea

29. Here in the UK I drink Clipper organic nettle tea, but the other day I just picked a bunch of nettle tops from the garden (we let a patch of our garden grow wild for wildlife) and brewed them in a teapot. They were delicious (to me) – very green tasting but more bitter than the teabags. It’s crazy that we are surrounded by so many edible plants with amazing health benefits, that we then cover in chemicals to kill and at the same time harm ourselves and other creatures with the chemicals!

30. It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this superb blog!
    I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to
    my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

31. pamelamims@hotmail.com' Pam says:

Thanks for this wonderful info. I’ve just received my amazon order of organic nettles tea by Alvita. I plan to drink it for hormone balancing. All the other great benefits are a priceless bonus. Every household should have this tea as a staple.

32. carmen.gabriel@live.com' Carmen says:

I am in day 11 since I quit Cetirizine, I still have bad nights, the first days I took allegra for relief but today is the third day since I haven’t had any antihistamine, yesterday I took my first capsule of stinging nettle root and has helped me so much that I just ordered 2 boxes of the tea. From now on I am going to use prescription drugs only if my life depends on it…maybe.

33. maryvesely@aol.com' mary says:

My medical doctor who has gone holistic recommended trying nettle tea for my persistant seborreha. I am on my third cup and feel relief already. Thanks doc

34. suzannestapler@yahoo.com' Suzanne says:

Do you know about coconut oil for ALS? Read Bruce Fife’s book, Stop Alzheimer’s Now!: How to Prevent & Reverse Dementia, Parkinson’s, ALS, Multiple Sclerosis & Other Neurodegenerative… by Bruce Fife ND and Russell L Blaylock MD

He suggests you work up to five T/day of the oil. It’s worth a shot and it’s a lot healthier than any other oil used for cooking.

35. When I initially commented I appear to have clicked on the
    -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now
    whenever a comment is added I get 4 emails with the exact
    same comment. There has to be a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Cheers!

36. Sclair171.2@hotmail.com' Adelone says:

Please Jill (16 May 2014),
    By “grain”, what do you mean ? Almonds, nuts, etc. ?
    Thank you.

37. phiscer@gmail.com' Philip says:

It is called “Alingatong” in Visayas & Mindanao and “Lipa” in Batangas.

38. From your DR. The drug called Cipro will get rid of your bladder infection s very quickly. I take Nettle tea for my kiddneys

39. odorothy40@yahoo.com' Dorothy Adhiambo Otieno says:

i have tried urtica dioica and there is a big improvement.

40. Tfor3@outlook.com' Erika Johnson says:

Steeped Tea sells an Organic Nettle Greek Mountain Tea. It has nettle, lemongrass and orange in it. So many great reviews of this tea. Contact one of your local Steeped Tea Consultants or visit my site for more info or to get some!

41. ptzagournis@gmail.com' Pantelis says:

One week is too soon to see noticeable results. A 2-3 months use will be a safer period for long lasting effects.

42. ptzagournis@gmail.com' Pantelis says:

Additionally, the use of nettle extract on plants produces amazing results. Try it. It could well be used in organic farms.

43. irinahoch39@gmail.com' irene says:

Nettle tea is taken by my grand daughter. As a result of her health issues she suffers from generalized edema which elevates her blood pressure. She started on Nettle tea and has had wonderful results. After a week her blood pressure is coming down without her Bp pills. Her swelling is decreasing. After hearing this I went to the health food store and purchased the nettle tea. I have to take a mild diuretic for my blood pressure. I tried stopping but each time my Bp would go up. Long story short, the first night I woke up at 3 am to empty my bladder. I voided such a large amount such as has not been normal for me for along time. I did not realize I was retaining so much water. I felt lighter and I felt good all day. My Bp was normal without my morning pill. I will continue drinking the Nettle tea and monitor my Bp without the pill for a week and see how well the Nettle tea works. I do not want to be on any meds and I believe the tea will work.

44. carolinemontagu@freenet.de' Kimberly says:

This content is very interesting but I see that you aren’t using the full earning potential of your website.
    You can earn pretty good promoting products related to health and beauty
    niche, don’t waste your traffic, just search in google:
    Polym’s earning ideas

45. smoremi@reminvest.co.za' Sylvester says:

Is the plant available in south africa

46. focustdci@gmx.com' Carl says:

@ Sylvester

Go to Dischem and look in the herbal teas section – you’ll find the Stinging Nettle teas and bags there..

47. galago90@yahoo.com' dotun says:

after reading nettle health benefit i ordered from amazon,planted the seeds and they are growing now.

48. vl00other@gmail.com' Victor says:

I’ve done some Googling on Nettle and it seems to have many health benefits as stated in this article. The one point here was made regarding strengthening the fetus and helping with lactation. Pregnant women should not be taking Nettle, it could cause miscarriage. Also, it can interact with some drugs unfavourably.